filtration question from a rookie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I purchased the aqueon 29 gallon starter kit and am currently cycling the tank with 9 zebra danios. Like many before me who have made this mistake, I am researching this hobby after setting up. I have had many questions and this board has been great thus far. I have a few more this evening.

I am thinking of setting up a 15 gallon tank at my office and will need to purchase a new filter. I believe my 29 gallon aqueon starter kit came with a "Quiet Flow 20" which is rated at 125 gph. Through reading this board and other resources, it seems important to have filtration that goes beyond the company ratings. Therefore, I am considering using my aqueon "quiet flow 20" for my 15 gallon tank and upgrading my filtration for the 29 gallon tank. If this seems like a good idea, please suggest a good filter for the 29 gallon tank (preferably one that is reasonably priced). To provide more information, I plan to have 4-5 small species cory cats, 2 schooling fish of 8-10 each (zebra danios and either celestial pearl danios or a small tetra type), something for algae control and a yet to be decided feature fish (suggestions welcome). Also, although I am a bit intimidated, I may try some low light plants (annubias, java ferns?).

Thanks in advance

The fluval c3 HOB filter is great! I have it in my 26 gallon. It is rated for 153 GPH. And is suggested for a 20-50 gallon tank which I think would be great for your tank :).

Thanks for the reply. I should have also asked (just to be sure) if the aqueon 20 is too much filter for a 15 gallon aquarium since I am thinking of "repurposing" it?

I think it should be fine. I just looked it up and it was rated for up to 20 gallons, so I'd say it would be perfect for the 15:)

Also here's a little trick. Keep the quiet flow 20 in your 29 gallon until your 15 is ready that way it will have all that good bacteria in it to speed up the cycling process for the 15 gallon tremendously

An Aquaclear 50 or 70 would be great on a 29g too. If you're willing to spend a bit more a canister like a Fluval 206 would be nice, but yeah they're much more expensive. In terms of the live plants what sort of lighting did your kit come with?

I am at work, but will post back the lighting when I am able. That was going to be another question I had, regarding suitable lighting for some "easy to keep", first-timer plants. I am sure I will have to replace the lighting.

I am pretty sure my fluorescent bulb is a 17w, T8, 8000 kelvin. I need education on bulbs. I presume I will need to replace this for optimal plant growth. What would you recommend?

Well there are three T types of bulbs, t10 t8 and t5. Well also t5 high output (t5ho). The bulb might grow you low light plants but nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom