Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Finally starting to fishless cycle

Hello this was a more diy project then anything. Found a 55 gallon tank and stand off craigslist for dirt cheap. Tank and stand came really clean with some tlc. After water testing found a leak, ripped out the old put in the new and all holding. Running 2 aquaeon 30' s rated for 45 gallons apiece. 2 powerheads and a decent size heater to be replaced before cycling is over. Added seeded filter media to the new filters. Using half pfs and half black diamond sandblasting sand. Using ace brand ammonia. Aquascaping to be added during cycling. Any advice always welcome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111023_173720.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	57785

Old 10-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #2

A little better pic

Name:	ForumRunner_20111023_174025.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	57786

Old 10-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'd recommend keeping the lights off and turning your heater up as high as it will go. Are you adding ammonia?
Old 10-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #4

I dosed it up to 5ppm and am using ace brand ammonia, also the light was only on for the photo. Did not know about the temp though. Thanks allot
Old 10-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Does light affect the cycle?
Old 10-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You need to do a small PWC to get your ammonia back down to 3-4ppm..... much above 4ppm is actually toxic to the bacteria you are attempting to grow. This is one of those cases where more is definitely not better.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
Look It Up

In case you haven't seen it there's a link in my signature called "new empty tank." it's the fishless cycle guide and will tell you step-by-step what to do.

I don't think the light affects the cycle; there's some debate on it but I haven't seen any definitive studies. Bacteria tend to like dark though, so that could be why keeping the lights off is a good idea (turning them on once in a while to take a photo or do something in the tank is fine, just probably not leave them on all the time). Dosing ammonia to 5 is fine, just make sure it isn't much above that. When you get into higher doses it can stall the cycle, but I don't think there's that much difference between 4 and 5. It's hard to tell the difference in greens on the API kit if that's what you're using, so just be sure it isn't closer to the 8 mark.
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hholly
Does light affect the cycle?
During the initial stages of cycling when the beneficial bacteria is first entering the tank and is in the water column...it is susceptible to a certain wavelength of light (which I can't remember...I can try to find out). Once the bacteria adheres to a surface there is no risk to it any longer.

The main reason we recommend leaving the lights off is simply to avoid algae breakouts. The algae loves the ammonia and nitrAte rich environment created during cycling (just like plants do), and since there's no fish to look at anyway...you might as well avoid the algae and keep them off.
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, gotcha! Thanks!
Old 10-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #10

Currently still cycling, doing some aquascaping in the process. Found a buddha at petco to use as a centerpiece for the tank. Silconed some stones together. Next gonna make some coconut caves and add

Name:	ForumRunner_20111028_192000.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	58460

plastic plants.

Tags
cycle, fishless, fishless cycle, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com