Finished fishless cycle! What should I stock in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I certainly agree that it shouldn't be automatically written off, but my point is that you can't use only it. In the end, it probably won't factor into your stocking decision that much, and it really shouldn't be depended on.

I just got 8 harlequin rasboras and 6 cory cats last night!

Does anyone have any experience with Orange Von Rio Tetras? I've been reading about them a little but couldn't find out to much about them and Bettas.

I think you will find that the almost all tetras will be scared and school tightly at first, and once they get used to they tank they will be everywhere, and nipping long fins. If you want a school that of fish that arent nippy (at least not that ive seen or heard) would be danios. You could also try pencilfish. I don't trust petsmart and petco for fish anymore, if you look through their display tanks at least one is usually full of ich, and often there are dead fish. Petco is better with quarantining, but their tanks are filthy. It might just be the management of the stores here, but I recommend trying to find a privately owned lfs. The one i go to has much more expensive tanks and decor, so i use the big box stores for that, but they quarantine their fish for a week, and after that if they see a dead fish they turn that tank into a quarantine tank until they find out why it died and cure the others, if needed. They deserve more business, and the way they take care of fish is great. There are places like that in most cities.

I think you will find that the almost all tetras will be scared and school tightly at first, and once they get used to they tank they will be everywhere, and nipping long fins. If you want a school that of fish that arent nippy (at least not that ive seen or heard) would be danios.

:banghead:

Almost all of this is wrong. Most tetras are not nippy at all, although a few are semi-agressive at worst and some are just a bit nippy. However most of them are just as peaceful as the rest. And IMO some danios (don't want to say most) are quite nippy. Giants are semi agressive. Zebras and leopards are certainly nippy.

:banghead:

Almost all of this is wrong. Most tetras are not nippy at all, although a few are semi-agressive at worst and some are just a bit nippy. However most of them are just as peaceful as the rest. And IMO some danios (don't want to say most) are quite nippy. Giants are semi agressive. Zebras and leopards are certainly nippy.

Can you suggest a few tetras that are peaceful? Thanks.

Also, if anyone knows of a fish that is generally compatible with a male betta, 8 harlequin rasboras, and 6 cory cats please let me know! Thanks!

Does anyone have any experience with Orange Von Rio Tetras? I've been reading about them a little but couldn't find out to much about them and Bettas.

Following up about the Orange Von Rio Tetras, they would not be good fish with a betta because of their orange color, correct?

Following up about the Orange Von Rio Tetras, they would not be good fish with a betta because of their orange color, correct?

They shouldn't be too much of a problem but I don't really know. IMO the biggest issue is flowy fins, color isn't as big of a deal.

Also, if anyone knows of a fish that is generally compatible with a male betta, 8 harlequin rasboras, and 6 cory cats please let me know! Thanks!

Well for a 36 gallon you are still around half stocked IMO, maybe around 60%. You could add one more school of fish, a ram/apisto, a small school of otos (once the tank matures), and a colony of shrimp.

Can you suggest a few tetras that are peaceful? Thanks.

Rummynose are great, but they are prone to disease and are fragile, but only at first. They are perfectly hardy and not very susceptible to disease once they are settled in.

Neons and cardinals are good options, but neons can be doomed from the start due to poor breeding (or so I've heard), and cardinals are more sensitive to pH (or so I've heard). Not 100% if those two things are true though.

Bloodfins are nice but some say that they are agressive at times. I've never seen any aggression from mine except I went on a 3 day vacation and came back to one less than when I left. So someone got hungry... :lol:

Lemons are just generally great. I don't have any experience with them but they seem peaceful and hardy. Same goes for lamp eye tetras, which are just about the most underrated fish ever. I loved mine.

Black phantoms are cool, although some say that they can be nippy, but I doubt that this is true. Probably not that much, and they look really awesome!

There are really a ton of different tetras, which is why they are my favorite kind of fish (and that's why I was quick to defend them).

Yesterday I added 7 rummynose tetras to the tank. So far they seem to be kind of cowered in the back and near the substrate, in a tight shoal- away from the harlequin rasboras. Did I do something wrong while adding them in, or are they just getting use to the tank and will soon get over it?

A while ago, I read somewhere that I could try rearranging the decorations to break up some territories and reduce fighting. Does this work? Isn't the point of stocking a few at a time so they could form territories?

Well, the rummynose tetras are now swimming in the middle, but in the back; away from the harlequin rasboras. If you have time, please answer the question from the post above.

Thanks!

Hmm, not sure. Rasboras are not aggressive or anything.
I want to help and I read your question but I just don't know!
It's only been a few days, I wouldn't worry much yet.

Back
Top Bottom