Finished fishless cycle! What should I stock in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polkadots

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

After 70 long days, my fishless cycle has finally been completed! I'm thrilled!

So now my new question is, what should I stock?

This is my stocking plan:
1 betta (male)
7 harlequin rasboras
6 cory cats
5 platies

Note that the betta is a fish I already have. I know that he would not be very happy with his tank mates, but his living conditions would be much better in the new tank.

My tank is a 36 gallon bowfront.

According to Aquadvisor.com, I'm 83% stocked. So I was thinking of adding more fish to the plan. I was thinking about neon tetras, but I've heard that they might get attacked, or they might fin nip the betta. What are your thoughts? Any fish you suggest for my tank?

Thanks!

Oh, and also, how many fish can I stock at a time? I've heard 5 per week, I've heard half of the fish one week and the other the next week. (My beneficial bacteria can take 4ppm of ammonia in 24 hours)

platies have a pretty large bioload, i would go with three females and up your other two schools to 8. maybe a group of marbled hatchets to have a school on all levels of the tank. neon tetras are nippers and nippers are a no-go with male bettas.

since you fishless cycled, you have the option to stock it with however many fish you want, right off the bat. the only problem with that, is the more fish you add at once the more of a chance for disease to be introduced. how confident are you in your local fish store?

70 days! Wow. I am cycling my tank right now. Did you seed your tank or just start from scratch?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yup, my cycle was full of complications! I started from scratch.

I've had a betta and neons together without problem, but it's always something to look out for with all fish. You know, you don't have to stock 100% :) If I was you though, I would get another school of some sort. You might look into what levels your fish swim at (top/bottom/middle of tank) and fill in where you have the least. Have fun with your new tank!

What kinda of complications. I am cycling mine now and I test my water every day but nothing is really changing. I mean the ammonia is being converted but other than that I feel like I am just wasting my test solution. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, the ammonia took a while to go down- 25 days, to be exact. After that, it was the nitrate stall. You can read about in the that I started thread and that you already replied to: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycle-stall-291771-4.html#post2810621 or you can go on over to where I butted into a few times, http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/why-isnt-my-cycled-done-291882-11.html#post2797948. I think you should check out that one, it got more popularity so there will be more information. If you are using the Almost Complete Guide to Fishless Cycling (I think that's what it's called, it's the one here on Aquarium Advice), just be sure to lower the dose of ammonia to 1/2 a dose every 3-4 days once you see the nitrite appear. If you don't, you might get a nitrate stall like me and the other person who started the thread above, therefore having to do a 100% or more water change. Good luck!

That looks fine, you could even add more fish. Do you plan on having a mixed group of males and females for platys? Because that will give you tons of babies! You could decide against the platies and have TONS more fish. They have a really large bioload so maybe if you lost the platies you could add maybe 7 rummynose tetras (need a tank that's >month old) and 5 otocinclus vittatus.

Hmm... Perhaps I won't get platys then.

If you have other med/big fish they will eat the babies (the parents will too!), I've always had a few reach it to maturity, but really most of them get eaten if you don't remove them.

My only local stores (that I trust- there's one small store that has very dirty tanks) is PetSmart and PetCo, ironically. Marbled hatchets aren't available in those stores, as well as rummynose tetras... Plus I don't want otos in this tank.

Now that I've harshly shot down those suggestions, does anyone know a fish that's compatible with a betta, 6 cory cats, and 8 harlequin rasboras? (I'm not getting platys anymore!)

Without the platys, my tank is stocked 65% according to aqadvisor. My approach on this is the more, the merrier, so why not stock to 100%?

I have a German blue ram pair in my 26 gallon Bowfront with similar fish (no betta) and I love them. You could also look at gouramis. I don't know how these fish would do with a Betta as I do not have experience with them in community tanks.
Have you ever considered changing the Betta for a paradise fish? They look kinda similar but the paradise fish, has something about them i love. Maybe you'll feel the same ;)

Best of luck :)

I have a German blue ram pair in my 26 gallon Bowfront with similar fish (no betta) and I love them. You could also look at gouramis. I don't know how these fish would do with a Betta as I do not have experience with them in community tanks.
Have you ever considered changing the Betta for a paradise fish? They look kinda similar but the paradise fish, has something about them i love. Maybe you'll feel the same ;)

Best of luck :)

I've heard that gouramis and Bettas are not compatible, as well as the German blue ram and the paradise fish. So no to those. I really don't want to replace the Betta- I already have him! His living conditions would be a lot better in the new tank. However, if he's a bully or is being bullied then he's going back to his old tank, and I'd seriously consider the fish you suggested! Thanks!

I know you're looking for a fish, but what about a big snail? I think they look pretty (not sure about compatibility, but you could look it up or someone else will hopefully chime in)

I've heard that rainbowfish are nippy with bettas. And honestly I wouldn't trust aqadvisor on your whole stock like that. It has lots of problems, and oftentimes doesn't stock well.

I've heard that rainbowfish are nippy with bettas. And honestly I wouldn't trust aqadvisor on your whole stock like that. It has lots of problems, and oftentimes doesn't stock well.

Alright then, no to rainbow fish and I won't use aqadvisor anymore!

Using aqadvisor is up for debate on AA. Lots of people like it and several respected people recommend it. Other people don't like it and would not recommend it. It's not perfect for sure, but it's a good starting point IMO so I wouldn't write it off completely.

Back
Top Bottom