First Fishless Cycle!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Relling1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm starting to get my 10 gallon ready for college next year and decided to go with a Fishless ammonia cycle this time. In my past tanks I've always gone with fish in. So I got some ace hardware pure ammonia and dosed to what looks like 4.0 ppm. Can't really tell but polled my family and they agreed it looked like 4. My plan is to keep a journal here and possibly get some advice down the road!

Also quick question: how do you guys dose the ammonia? I just poured a tiny in the bottoms cap then dropped in a few drops...figured there might be an easier way lol!

Thanks in advance!

What test kit are you using? I'm assuming it's the liquid kit?

Here's a dosing calculator (scroll to the bottom where it says "fishless cycling--ammonia:" Calculator

Some stores sell syringes, or ask at the pharmacy. Once you know the ML (from the calculator above, but it looks like about 1.59 ml if the ammonia is 9.5% strength) you'll know how much to add to the syringe. The hard way is adding a few drops, wait a half hour, test, add more if needed, etc. Once you do this you'll know how many drops to add next time for a full dose; less when you start adding smaller doses as the ammonia falls a bit.

Yeah I checked the dosing calculator and that was what I got! And I am using the API Master test kit. Okay tomorrow I will run to the local pharmacy and see what I can do about a syringe. And you mentioned waiting 30 minutes. I dropped the ammonia in then tested about 30 seconds after. Should I wait and test again?

Back
Top Bottom