First time fishless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbjfan75

Aquarium Advice Regular
We have a 55g and a 15g that have been cycled in the house. My daughter has decided she wants a glo fish tank in her room. We set it up today, using the filter and heater from the 15g tank and all new decorations. I found 10% pure Ammonia at Ace Hardware and added around 1.5mL to it. After it tested around 3ppm. Now the sit and wait begins.. IMG_2107.jpg

Patience..... Believe me it's the hardest thing about Fishkeeping. (Advice to take from a very very impatient individual!)

2 days later, Ammonia is down to 1ppm and traces of trites and trates are present. Dosing with a little more Ammonia and continuing to wait.

This will insure that you have a well established biofilter. Just keep an eye on the nitrites/nitrates level, as.the first will continue to rise, even off the charts, till 1 day when you check it will be zero.

Sorry to school you abt nitrates/nitrites/ammonia. ...didn't read earlier post abt your cycled 55 and 15 setup.

IMG_2690.jpg

OK. So we're at this point. It's been since 5/23 that I added ammonia to the tank. Yesterday tested at 4ppm and today down to 2.
If I'm looking at this correctly it is processing nitrites faster than the ammonia?

Yes, I think so, a few more days and you may have it.

Did you ever show high nitrites?

Last edited:
Today's results after a 24 hour shift yesterday so it was 48 hours of sitting before this test. First time with 0 ammonia in a test. Dosed up again today and fingers crossed for similar results over the next week. Patience is key.

IMG_2754.jpg

This aquarium is being painstakingly slow. It's holding 0 nitrites, but it's only reduced ammonia by 1/2 every 24 hours.

It has been, but ever situation is different. You will get there, just imagine the issues you would have had with fish in the tank. This is why we advocate fishless cycling. If the cycle goes easy fish-in isn't too bad but.... If you have trouble in a fish-in, nightmare!

It has been, but ever situation is different. You will get there, just imagine the issues you would have had with fish in the tank. This is why we advocate fishless cycling. If the cycle goes easy fish-in isn't too bad but.... If you have trouble in a fish-in, nightmare!

Oh, I'm having no doubts of that. She wants glo danio so I want to make sure it's 100% ready for a full on bio load before making the purchase

Back
Top Bottom