First time (sunburst wag platys) need help :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scary, if they are going to add live plants, is aquarium salt still okay to use? My LFS told me that all plants are very sensitive to salt and it would kill them all?! Please clarify. I'd like to add some live plants to my tank, but I currently have it salted for my mollies. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Well that is an issue, thats why I said to do a half does unless your treating a sick fish, or even a quarter does but mollies need some salt so I'm not really sure, I would maybe make another thread about it? Maybe there are some brackish plants or something? I know Java fern and moss can pretty much grow anywhere so they might be good.

Well that is an issue, thats why I said to do a half does unless your treating a sick fish, or even a quarter does but mollies need some salt so I'm not really sure, I would maybe make another thread about it? Maybe there are some brackish plants or something? I know Java fern and moss can pretty much grow anywhere so they might be good.

Not familiar with it myself, but Dragonfish71 has a nice Brackish tank. Here is a pic of it. You can see a bunch of plants. So you could have a nicely planted brackish tank.
22608-albums13860-picture65916.jpg

If you only want to add a few teaspoons or tablespoons depending on the tank size, as you can see this tank is brackish but with just a little salt you probably wouldn't have a problem wth any plants.

Off topic I guess but one of my mollies gave birth to three fry! I'm going to go get some fry food along with the bloodworms today, any suggestions?

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

If you're using a flake food, just grind it in a plastic bag and feed them a tiny bit. If you don't have many hiding places for them to escape to, you may need to separate them if you want them to survive. I had 12 and let them swim about with the bigger mollies, I have 4 strong survivors left. :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408910123.373409.jpg

This is my 20 gal Molly tank. I'm moving my fry into this tank since they are bigger now. I will be adding some natural wood pieces as soon as they are done soaking. I'll post more pictures as I go.

Hikari First Bites fry food, and use a tooth pick to feed. It is crazy small and you don't want to over feed. Doesn't cause ammonia spikes if used as directed, which I am always concerned about is using flaked food. Ok to use just must be vigilant on pwc and watching parameters. My 2 cents for fry.

Also Ken's growth formula is really good for fry growth. Maybe only online, not sure.

Thanks for the advice! I don't have flakes, I use pellets because mine went bad easily:p They're separated from the main tank and they're in a little breeding net cube. I just got back from the store and bought them the Hikari Fish Bites, also thank you for the toothpick suggestion;) I think they're eating it but I can't even see their mouthsXD I put the toothpick in but they just seemed to have a little and then move away. For once they're at the top so I'm pretty sure they're eating. :)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Couldn't find any bloodworms except the GIGANTIC pack, which was 20 dollars:/ I'd rather get the frozen cubes than that one:p so I'll have to go somewhere else for them. Once they're big enough, will the fry eat chopped up bloodworms? I think I'm getting the mini ones anyways but just in case I wanted to ask.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Sure, I think frozen are good, I recommend Hikari brand again, because they screen for pathogens and you get a pure product. You can slice paper thin and feed but one slice may be too much food for one feeding for them. :) Besides your other fish will love the left overs!

I use freeze dried and frozen supplemental foods. Variety is great for most fish.

Sure, I think frozen are good, I recommend Hikari brand again, because they screen for pathogens and you get a pure product. You can slice paper thin and feed but one slice may be too much food for one feeding for them. :) Besides your other fish will love the left overs!

I use freeze dried and frozen supplemental foods. Variety is great for most fish.

You're right, with only three fry a whole bloodworm lasts a monthXD They seem to like the First Bites and I accidentally put a tiny bit in the main tank so the gourami is enjoying that;) I never noticed how tiny the mouths of the fry are and how SUPER TINY the food would beXD Thanks!

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Back
Top Bottom