Fish for a 10G with plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NightKnight

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is it okay to have:
1 Dwarf Gouramis
4 Sky Blue Endler Livebearers (3 male 1 female)
2 Oto Catfish
And 6 cherry or crystal shrimp
I have a ten gallon tank and am about to cycle it and I want to know what fish will be put in after the cycling is done and I don’t want too many or too little

You should not have 3 male endlers with one female. The males will stress her out too much and she might die. You should have a ratio of 1 male to 2 females. Everything else should be fine. But watch the gourami and make sure he doesn't pick on the shrimp.

NightKnight, where did you get your sky blue endlers? Aquaticarts by chance?

I would not put a dwarf gourami in a 10-gallon--I think it's just too small for a dwarf gourami to be happy.

If I were going to make a 10-gallon planted (and I've seen some very nice ones!), I would go with smaller fish, like neon or glowlight tetras, danios, or fancy guppies.

I also don't recommend dwarf gouramis as a rule, because so many that are sold have iridovirus.

I would pick cherry shrimp over crystal shrimp if you are new to the hobby, which it seems you may be. Crystal reds have very specific water parameters, rili LOOK like crystal red shrimp, but they are just regular cherry shrimp with paterns

It's rightly been pointed out in another thread that guppies are probably not a good choice for a 10 gallon because they reproduce so quickly and will fill and overstock the tank.

Pygmy / Sparkling Gouramis could be a good choice if you want a gourami. They have more of a 'sleek' shape to them than most gouramis and look pretty flashy. I don't believe they get larger than about 1.25", I have a pair in a planted 5G with a few cherry shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom