Fish-in cycle - no ammonia yet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lotocus

Aquarium Advice Activist
We are starting up a new 75 gallon tank.

On Sunday we filled it with conditioned water, but a little bio boost in and moved a filter cartridge from an established 20 gallon tank into the HOB filter of the 75 (along with 2 new filter cartridges for the 75 filter)

On Monday we introduced 9 Danios to the tank. (We intend to have a nice sized school of Danios when all is said and done, so I'm just using them as throw-away cycling fish)

I've been carefully monitoring the water conditions (daily ammonia tests), as of this morning: ammonia <0.25 (this is an API test, so I understand it almost never reads 0, and it has been reading .25 even before the fish were introduced), nitrites 0, nitrates 0.

I KNOW this comes up a lot and I KNOW I am probably being impatient, but I sure thought I would start to see some ammonia by now.

so I guess I am asking 1- do I just need to sit down and shut up and be patient? and 2 - should I perform any water changes before I start seeing any ammonia? I understand nitrites need ammonia and nitrates need nitrites, so if I change the water out before ammonia starts building, will that inhibit any nitrites?

Thanks in advance.

I would just let it go for a few days/week.
Chances are that the cartridge you put in there has/will seed the tank/filters and you may never actually see a full cycle, especially in that size tank with that current stocking load. ;)
I wouldn't sweat it too much.

If that's the case then I should know the tank is okay by observing a gradual rise in nitrates, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If that's the case then I should know the tank is okay by observing a gradual rise in nitrates, correct?

pretty much, I would still be testing at least every other day for the next week or two to make certain.
You may only really see nitrate build up without any major spikes of ammonia or nitrite, at least that is the hope/idea behind using seeded material, LOL

I wondered if that might be what's happening. Either way though - no water changes until u see SOMETHING, right?

Back
Top Bottom