Fishes dying pls help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vicky1327

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HI all.. my tank is kinda really small one.. i guess shd be around 6g.. i had two orange zebras and 2 neon tetras to start with. later after 2 months i stocked it with 2 gold fishes and 2 fishes( it was silver bottom and gold top.not a lion head though... how is this fish called??) jus after a week of introducing these 4 new fishes.. the one gold died.. and i cleaned the tank fully and put it all in again... and within the next two days all the other fishes died... i m left with only one of the first zebras and a suckercat( or tank cleaner however u call it)....
can you pls help me so tht i can ve a vibrant collection tht my tank would support..
PS: after the cleaning, the tank got totally turbid the very next day which never happened in the first two months before introducing the 4 fishes.. is it because the gold eats and excretes more?? pls suggest me how to care.. and also some friendly fishes that would make my tank look good. its a kind of starting over afresh...so kindly suggest me what i shd do to start with..including the fishes i can put in..thanking you in advance!!

I promise to put the fotos of the new one once i am done by the end of the week!! :)

Before you buy more we need to figure out why they all died. Do you have a liquid test kit such as the Api master test kit? And can you give the reading of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Did you cycle the tank?

If these things are all in place the only other thing it could be is the red zebra killed all of tjem. Witch is very possible in that size of a tank.

6 gallon tank? If I read that right your tank unfortunately is way too small for all those fish especially goldfish. 6 gallons doesn't give much room for fish let alone error.

I'd re think your stock ideas and properly cycle your tank if you haven't done so.

Are you familiar with the cycle process?

@andrew : Nope.. I do not have those kits with me.. back here in india i never had anyone telling me of anything abt those kits.. well i am not sure if zebra would have killed them.. i ve had it from the first and it had been good...

@convict: yea i know tht my tank size is too small.. but i thot it would be ok to start with.. maybe i can put in fishes tht could suit in th tank fr the time being.. i ve to prove my mother tht i can take care of the fishes so tht she wud approve me to get a bigger tank next month!!!

and the cycle process wat does it actually mean.. i do refresh half a tank of water daily.. i take out half tank water and fill it with fresh ones...

can you pls suggest me the fishes and the number of fishes tht my tank cud manage??

vicky1327 said:
@andrew : Nope.. I do not have those kits with me.. back here in india i never had anyone telling me of anything abt those kits.. well i am not sure if zebra would have killed them.. i ve had it from the first and it had been good...

@convict: yea i know tht my tank size is too small.. but i thot it would be ok to start with.. maybe i can put in fishes tht could suit in th tank fr the time being.. i ve to prove my mother tht i can take care of the fishes so tht she wud approve me to get a bigger tank next month!!!

and the cycle process wat does it actually mean.. i do refresh half a tank of water daily.. i take out half tank water and fill it with fresh ones...

can you pls suggest me the fishes and the number of fishes tht my tank cud manage??

Okay well you need to look into getting a test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

The cycle is that the tank can convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. You can do fish in cycles witch is what you've been doing since you had fish but without a test kit they are pretty hard to do. Under my post here you'll see a tiny picture of my tank and a couple links click on the one that says cycling and you can read up on how its done and what all happens during.

If your measurements are right on your profile then the tank should be almost 10 gallons. There isn't a lot that can go in a tank that size but its way more doable then 6g or whatever you said in your first post.

I would aim for a betta and some snails and plants to start with maybe even some shrimp. The more you put in it the harder its going to be and you want the bigger tank right? So let's keep it simple till you get the bigger one.

Bigger tanks allow for more error because smaller tanks have less water and that water can foul really fast.

thank you guys!!
@andrew: Ok as you said i ll go on with getting the kit and go through the cycling link.... is there a better option other than snails?? my mom seems to feel kinda not comfortable with snails!! so an alternative species of fishes.. and i am planing to put in just four fishes fr the time being.. hope tht wud do good with this tank! :)

@jlk : heard frm my frnd who was earlier having an aquarium tht its hard to maintain gold fishes.. and i too found out tht a couple of goldies tht dies had red spots on its body which were not there wen it was active in the tank..i saw these red spots and the same night it dies.. so it ll be useful if u can give some tips on goldies maintenance too!! also suggest some vibrant and colorful fishes fr my tank!

vicky1327 said:
thank you guys!!
@andrew: Ok as you said i ll go on with getting the kit and go through the cycling link.... is there a better option other than snails?? my mom seems to feel kinda not comfortable with snails!! so an alternative species of fishes.. and i am planing to put in just four fishes fr the time being.. hope tht wud do good with this tank!

Betta
Glowlight tetras
Dwarf Gourami
Neon tetras
Platys
Danios
Guppys
Mollys
Shrimp
Snails

I think all of them can go in that size of a tank but this isn't my specialty by any means. They all can't go together either but it shows you what I think can work.

With the betta I believe the only ones that would probably work are the tetras and danios.

Jlk is probably much better at these type of fish so maybe jlk can shine some much better advise on this matter

New Addition!!

@Andrew: Hey andrew.. thank you for the list:thanks:.. I ve added a pair of black and white mollies... and a pair of black widow tetra/ black skirt tetra.... i also got a new 6 inch pot and u know what.. i ve added a betta to it:fish1::fish1:.. well i guess its a tropical betta... i ll post the pictures soon!! :)

@Jlk: thank you for the link on goldies bro!! :) :thanks:

:fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2:

Back
Top Bottom