fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

delyla

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok I've been doing the fishless cycle. My ammonia level has been at 4 ppm for 3 days now with out adding any ammonia? Is this normal? Do I need to do a pwc to lower it?

It can take a couple weeks before the ammonia initially drops. It took me 2 weeks and a day before my ammonia dropped at all, so nothing out of the ordinary IMO. Just gotta be patient (i know, its hard to do)

Try to get some filter material from an established tank and crank up the heater. Other than that, you really just have to be patient. It's worth it, trust me.

In my town there is a lady that owns and runs her own aquarium shop. Her tanks have been established for around 20 years. Anyway she gave me a cup of gravel out of one of her tanks. she also gave me about a teaspoon of what she called her own mix of live bacteria. (It looked similar to aquarium water). With the two hopefully that will give my cycle a boost.

My ammonia was at 0.25 for the past three days including today. I just did a water change. Do I need to add the stress coat during the fishless cycle? I read that Ammonia would raise to 9.0 ammonia in a new aquarium. Mine isn't new but It's new to be set up in my house. My ammonia didn't reach all the way up to 9.0 but the highest it went to was 1.0. Does this mean it needs to reach higher or will it be fine?

yes, you need to use some sort of dechlor or the chlorine/chloramine in the water will kill the bacteria. What are you using as your ammonia source? you dont want the ammonia to get that high because over 8ppm will stall the cycle. aim for 4ppm

I am feeding the tank with tropical fish flakes. I will add some stress coat in it...I didn't think I would have to add stress coat in the tank until the day before I got my fish but I'll use that now then.

Back
Top Bottom