Fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hyperman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Starting the fishless cycle on our 29 gallon tank. Anyone have experince with how much ammonia we will need to add to be close to the 4ppm? I don't want to overdose right at the start.

Thanks

You will first need to find the concentration of the ammonia. And just make sure that the ammonia doesn't have any additives, dyes, perfumes, etc.

Once you find the concentration, google "live rock calculator." (seems a bit odd, but you'll get there) then click on the link from tropicalfishforums.net. At the bottom of the page it brings you to there should be an ammonia calculator.

I would just post a link, but for some reason it isn't working.

Thank You I found the calculator. Unfortunately the bottle does not tell me the concentration of the ammonia. It is clear ammonia. Under ingredients it just lists Ammonium Hydroxide. It says contains no phosphorous. It is Wegmans brand. I will try and google to see if I can find the concentration online.

Well, I think looking online is your best bet. I don't have any experience with that brand, just the ACE brand.

Your ammonia should be fine, it doesn't have any additives.

What type of ammonia source are you using? Pure ammonia? Fish food?

Have you tried adding nitrifying bacteria or pure media and beneficial bacteria?

hyperman said:
Thank You I found the calculator. Unfortunately the bottle does not tell me the concentration of the ammonia. It is clear ammonia. Under ingredients it just lists Ammonium Hydroxide. It says contains no phosphorous. It is Wegmans brand. I will try and google to see if I can find the concentration online.

Google does the trick ;)

I used special blend, a bit different from ammonia dosage but beneficial in a cycle

I've recently started my cycle on a 29 gallon. I put in around 4.3ml of 10% concentration ammonia. It got me to 4ppm

Started some research and found a thread on forum.simplydiscus.com which discusses Wegmans clear ammonia. There is concern that it contains surfactants because when you shake the bottle you get foam. My does get foam. The user was having issues getting any nitrites and the conclusion was that the surfactants could have caused this. I do not have an Ace hardware store which is what people have been suggesting. Not sure if I should try this ammonia from Wegmans now. Any other places where someone has gotten thier ammonia?

Tyler3533 said:
I've recently started my cycle on a 29 gallon. I put in around 4.3ml of 10% concentration ammonia. It got me to 4ppm

How long have you been adding ammonia and when do you reckon it will start fluctuating and decreasing

Bobjoefredsky said:
How long have you been adding ammonia and when do you reckon it will start fluctuating and decreasing

Mine started dropping around 10 days. And had a small trace of nitrites.

Tyler3533 said:
Mine started dropping around 10 days. And had a small trace of nitrites.

Good good. I say it's safe to add fish when your nitrates start building up. Who has the patience to wait until they hit under 20? Haha

Bobjoefredsky said:
Good good. I say it's safe to add fish when your nitrates start building up. Who has the patience to wait until they hit under 20? Haha

If you have ammonia in your tank your fish will die. You must wait tell your ammonia and nitrite is get from when you dose to zero in around 24 hours

hyperman said:
unfortunately we do not have an ace hardware nearby

Any ammonia will work. Just check of you shake the bottle. If bubbles form on top then you can NOT use. I you shake it and no bubble form. Your fine

Back
Top Bottom