Fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stagerlee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I'm really confused. I'm at the end of the cycle. Tested my water today nitrites finally dropped to 0 but now ammonia is at 1-2 ppm it has been dropping to 0 every 24-48hrs!! I'm confused. Is the ammonia not being processed?
I figured at this point I could do my big water changed and be done. Help!??

If it was me id sk a big water change and dose ammonia back up if ammonia and Hittites are gone within 24 hours id say your done

Do you know your PH? If it's dropped, sometimes that can stall the cycle. I'd also recommend a large water change and redose ammonia and see what happens. I'd also dose ammonia consistently, every 24 hours as long as it's dropping. If you don't dose consistently the bacteria get used to not having food and then when you add ammonia again the levels (e.g. nitrite) can spike back up.

Ok cool, haven't checked ph latley. It been going pretty good before this. Every 24 hrs or so I was dosing ammonia then it was dropping down to 0. This is the first time the nitrites have been at 0, I was expecting to see ammonia at 0 too??

Ok did 80% water change, it been about 14hrs since I dosed ammonia. Levels are now:
Ammonia-1ppm
Nitrite-0ppm
Nitrate-40ppm
PH-7.5
Not sure where it's going now?

Looks good actually. Ammonia dropped and they turned into nitrate. If it's only been 14 hours since you dosed that's likely why there's still ammonia in there. Check again at the 24 hour mark and see if ammonia is 0. I'd keep dosing a few more days anyway; if you can get ammonia to 0 out every 24 hours and nitrites to stay at 0 and nitrates are rising, I'd say it's safe to do the last large water change and get some fish. We'll see how it progresses though.

Library Girl, really quick question in the mean time. I'm seeing some algae blooming on my heater. Anything to worry about?

Day after water 80% water change, dosed ammonia levels now:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates about 40ppm
Think it's time!

Library Girl, really quick question in the mean time. I'm seeing some algae blooming on my heater. Anything to worry about?

What color is it? If it's white, it's normal, you can just wipe it off. If it's brown, it might be diatoms, also normal and nothing to worry about.

The conversion looks great. You can dose another day or two to make sure everything stays at 0 and then do your large water change to get nitrates down, lower the heater if you have it high for the cycle and get your fish!

Ok thanks for the advice on that, so one last thing. Done a 80% water change dosed ammonia after 24 hrs 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 20-30 nitrate. After 2nd 50% water change and ammonia dose 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and again 20-30 nitrate. Looks good like the cycle
Is working, should I worry about the nitrates though or will those levels work?

nitrates below 40 are safe for fish, although below 20 is recommended. I would do a 30% wc, then add fish

I agree, you want nitrates as low as you can get them before you add fish. Try a 50-70% water change; if you can get nitrates <10 that would be ideal.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I have my 5gal cycled and everything running well, except for
Beta a got wont eat. He came from a family member's house who had him in a glass bowl on the sink. No he has 5 gallons of water to himself, a heater, filter and nicely cycled water. I even upgraded his food from beta pellets to freeze dried brine shrimp. He picked at it a little but still not eating well. Hopefully just gettin use to his new home. By the way it's been. Little over a week he has not eaten. Any thoughts?
Also...starting a 25 gallon octagon 40" tall tank. Any thoughts on stock? Was thinking a nice community tank?

Back
Top Bottom