Fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nostromo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need help with this as I am new to it. I have a 55 gallon tank new with a aqueon 75 flow filter, I have a gravel substrate with silk plants temperature is at 84f. I put in DR.Tims one and only 4oz bottle and 10ml of his ammonium . The ammonium directions are 4 drops per gallon , with having a 55 gallon tank that is 220 drops, I was told that 5ml was equivalent to 100 drops so that is why I put in 10ml for my 55 gallon tank. Day 8 into fishless cycle ph =7.5, ammonia=2, nitrite=0 and nitrate=0. I have been following DR.Tims guide to fishless cycling on his website and it says to dose ammonia to 2ppm and if your ammonia and nitrite are below 1ppm add 2pmm 4 drops of ammonia per gallon. When you can add 2ppm both ammonia and nitrite are below 0.2ppm the next day your tank is cycled . Well I was into day 8 and none of my readings changed so today the 9th day in i added another 10 ml of ammonia to the tank now my ammonia is about 5pmm Have i done something wrong to the cycle according to DR.Tims website on the fishless cycle by day 9 i should be adding fish. I cant understand my ammonia staying the same plus 0 nitrites so that is why today which is 9 days in i added another 10 ml of ammonia to see if that helped it just raised my ammonia up higher to 5ppm , i am at a loss in what to do . I have the api freshwater master test kit and the water was treated with sera aquatan water conditioner at the beginning before i put in the one and only and added the ammonia. Any help or advice greatly appreciated to fix my cycle thanks

With that much ammonia, the nitrates should be through the roof. Since they are not (assuming it is still zero) then your tank is not cycled. No idea why the ammonia would jump up like that. Im assuming you have not done any thing with the filter (cartridge cleaning/replacement).

Back
Top Bottom