Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last tuesday i added 6 ppm of ammonia. (oops too much i measured wrong) For the last week nothing has happened but now the ammonia is reading 3 pmm and the nitrites are at 2. Am i correct that the cycle is finally getting started?

Congratulations! Mine seemed to take forever to get started. I think I am almost done. The waiting can seem agonizing at times, but has given me the chance to really research and ask a lot of quesitons and give a lot of thought to the type of fish I want.

Week or two for ammonia to go to zero. Two to three weeks for nitrites to go to zero. Just be patient its the best way to cycle a take. Some fish are thanking you.

bosk1 said:
Congratulations! Mine seemed to take forever to get started. I think I am almost done. The waiting can seem agonizing at times, but has given me the chance to really research and ask a lot of quesitons and give a lot of thought to the type of fish I want.

This statement should be framed at every LFS and Aquatic Hobby location. :D

Patience in this hobby is beneficial to not only our fish but for us as well. The less stress on our fish, the less stress on us. Then we can sit back and enjoy.

This is what I did. I checked ammonia daily, and if less than 2, bump it back up to 2. Also check nitrites. Will take a couple weeks for ammonia to go to 0 in less than 24 hrs. Keep doing the same with the nitrite, bumping back up to 2ppm daily, til it goes to 0 in 24 hours. Also, keep close tabs on your ph. I noticed in my fishless cycle, when the nitrites finally dropped, so did my ph, below 6.0. One way to help this is when your nitrites have been up for a week, do a small pwc every other day before adding the ammonia to bump it up to 2ppm. This will help keep the ph more stable. The reason I believe this happens is the cycle is an acidic process, which will lower your ph. For mine, it dropped like a rock. Doesn't even need to be a 20% or 30%, even just 10% will help maintain a buffer for the ph. When I did that, my ph stayed pretty stable and within a couple days, I was cycled. Now I did use media from an already cycled tank, so mine went a bit faster. Hope all goes well for you. :)

Keep watching. If the tank hasn't been jump-started, usually about 2-4 weeks after ammonia falls. It's looking good.

The nitrite will usually peak about a week after ammonia drops off, as nitrite is following ammonia. So it sounds like you are in stage 2. When stage 2 is complete, you are cycled.

Back
Top Bottom