Fishless Cycle: Ammonia going down, no nitrites, but nitrates showing up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorlis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone.

Day 1
I finally got my fishless cycle going. Conditioned the water using Prime and waited 24 hours. I used tetra safestart plus as my BB and Dr Tim's ammonium chloride as my ammonia source. After adding the BB I dosed to 2.0ish ppm ammonia as instructed on the Dr Tim website. I waited 24 hours and tested again.

Day 2
Ammonia = 1.0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10-20 (Hard to tell since the colors are so close)

Day 3
Ammonia - .5
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 20

Afrer weeks of research I figured I knew what to expect. I thought I should have 0 nitrates until nitrites started showing up. Is this normal?
*Tap water shows no nitrates or nitrites.
*Using API Master Test Kit

Hello everyone.

Day 1
I finally got my fishless cycle going. Conditioned the water using Prime and waited 24 hours. I used tetra safestart plus as my BB and Dr Tim's ammonium chloride as my ammonia source. After adding the BB I dosed to 2.0ish ppm ammonia as instructed on the Dr Tim website. I waited 24 hours and tested again.

Day 2
Ammonia = 1.0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10-20 (Hard to tell since the colors are so close)

Day 3
Ammonia - .5
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 20

Afrer weeks of research I figured I knew what to expect. I thought I should have 0 nitrates until nitrites started showing up. Is this normal?
*Tap water shows no nitrates or nitrites.
*Using API Master Test Kit
Hi Dorlis:

Three days would be awfully quick for a cycle to be at that stage, but given you have nitrates in the tank water and none in your tap water then you definitely have nitrite-oxidizing bacteria at work.

Other people have reported that, when using a bacterial additive like SafeStart, the nitrite spike happens so quickly that they actually miss it when testing the water. Sounds like that might have happened with your cycle as well.

I guess the best thing to do is keeping dosing with ammonia and testing. When the ammonia and nitrite consistently zero out, your cycle is established!

Thank you so much. That makes sense. I was wondering if it was possible to miss the nitrites.

Back
Top Bottom