Fishless cycle problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deven

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I've been going 2 1/2 weeks trying to fishless cycle with Ace brand Ammonia. The Ammonia level had been steady at 4ppm and not dropping (using the API test kit). It is a 20 gallon tall freshwater setup. Do you think I should just continue to wait, or add TSS or something else??

Any advice is appreciated.

have you added anything else to the tank? done any water changes, or changed any of the filter media?

also what type of water conditioner are you using?

I added Tetra aqua safe to dechlorinate. Other than that, I just added ammonia. I have not done any water changes.

I added Tetra Aqua Safe to dechlorinate. I have not changed the filter media or done any water changes.

hmm that is strange, though some tanks just take longer then others to cycle

do you know your PH level? i know a very low PH can completely stall the cycle

Ph is quite high. Around 8.0, so I don't think that is the problem.

well hopefully someone else will chime in because im not sure why your ammonia has not dropped in 2 1/2 weeks.

if you dont feel like waiting you can do what i did, search for a site called angel plus... they sell an active sponge filter (make sure it says active) that they will ship to you. i did this and my tank cycled within 2 days of adding them, now 2 weeks later ive stayed at 0ppm ammonia 0ppm nitrite, and 20ppm nitrate (lots of plants). Anyways thats just an option.

Thanks so much for your help. I may try Tetra SafeStart and see what happens. Do you recommend I do a PWC first and bring down the ammo levels?

hmmm, i wish i knew where to find the Q and A for tetra safe start, i hope someone will post it here. but the manufacture states it will not work with a fishless cycle because of the ammonia levels, they are too high and will kill the bacteria in TSS...i myself have tried to use TSS during a fishless cycle with ammonia and it was not successful.

so if you want to use TSS i would take out all of the ammonia from your tank, get some hardy fish you would like to keep in the long run and use them with TSS.

ill try to find the Q and A if i can so you have the full instructions on how to use TSS properly

I keep the light on only very rarely. I read it promotes algae growth but does not affect the cycle. The water has gotten cloudy the past few days. This could be a bacteria growth, but the Ammos are not dropping!

i do not believe light has anything to do with bacteria growth in the aquarium

You are right, i was going to say that having no lights on will help the tank get cycled. Lights will give a chance for algae to grow before your tank is cycled which will make the process last little bit longer

I just did a 6 gallon water change (it is a 20 gallon tank) and the ammo went to 2. Nitrate and Nitrite were zero. I wonder if the ammo level was too high. It was definitely not as green as an 8, but was a healthy green. It looked like a 4. Let's see if it reacts better to the lower ammo level.

My PH is steady around 8.0. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom