fishless cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bunebop

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright, so I've been having major problems w/ cycling my 50. I've had it cycling for close to 4 weeks now. My ammonia is FINALLY going down, in the last couple days from 4 ppm to 2 ppm, however I have seen NOTHING happening w/ the nitrate or nitrite? Is it possible I missed the nitrite peak? I found out my ammonia was incredibly high, so had to get it down to 4 ppm by going a 50% water change, but that was maybe 2 weeks ago. I did not check the nitrite a lot until just recently... so I was wondering if I could have missed it. I checked the nitrate a couple of days ago, and it was at 0 ppm. I have things (gravel etc) from my established tank in there which SHOULD have spend the stupid thing up. I really wanted this up and w/ fish in it before the 26th? PLZ tell me I'm almost finished and if there's anything else I can/should do?

If you have no nitrate then you did not miss the nitrite part. Are you adding ammonia daily to maintain the food source for the bacteria? Also, is the tank heated and filtered?

The seed material really ought to have helped, but only if you have maintained a steady level of ammonia the whole time.

I have not been adding more ammonia, I've been listening to my bf on this, and he has not told me to so I haven't, but he keeps giving me very bad advice, so I think I am going to stop asking him very soon and just post all my questions on here:evil: ... The tank is about 82 degrees... and there are 2 emporer 400's on it.

If your ammonia is dropping then you must have some nitrites... the ammonia isn't going to just disappear it must be getting converted. Try testing again.

Give it some time. If you really want to speed things up, Throw one of your bio-wheels from the 400's (I think the have them...) into one of your established tanks for a few days (they float). I would rinse it to get off any concentrations of ammonia before doing this though.

I put a new bio-wheel into my 55 while I set up a 10 gal. Added ammonia one day, the bio-wheel (seeded from the 55) the next and was cycled in three days.

The gravel you put in may have been handled too much or maybe just not had enough bacteria on it. Hard to say.

You will have to add ammonia every day to keep the cycle going, otherwise the bacteria will die. It needs "food" to get established. Once the cycle is done and you have nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria, the fish will supply the food for the bacteria to thrive.

Back
Top Bottom