Fishless Cycle Question Reading API Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plumwd

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does this look like 4 to you? I started a fishless cycle 7 days ago and have yet to see any changes. All parameters are stable.

Ph: 7.4
Ammonia: 4?
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Temp: 85

IMAG0261.jpg

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Hmm hard to say with the light, but it looks like 3 or 4.

I am running a fishless cycle right now and my ammonia didn't start to drop until day 11. I would not be concerned yet.

Sure is hard to tell. What is the best way to read these? I've noticed if I hold it differently or if it is different light it looks like a different shade.

I'm not so much concerned, as that I have a hard time differentiating the color when it's so dark. I of course, want it to proceed quickly, and understand that it takes time. Day 8 here we come.

Does this look like 4 to you? I started a fishless cycle 7 days ago and have yet to see any changes. All parameters are stable.

Ph: 7.4
Ammonia: 4?
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Temp: 85

IMAG0261.jpg

Yeah, if the nitrI/Ate's are both still 0, it's safe to assume it's still 4. Do you have any seeding material? Anything works, (well, not water) I'm using gravel, day 7 and my nitrAtes are 160+! :) Good luck!

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

I'll have to see if I can get some. I do have a 29 gallon but given that almost all my fish died last week when I moved the tank, I'm afraid to use it in my new tank.

Yay! I think we have a 2! Should I dose back to 4 now or let it fall further?

uploadfromtaptalk1396618550564.jpg

I am dosing my 20 gallon daily. It will never go to zero but goes from 4ppm to .25 in a day. Was told it needs to go to 0 in 8-12 hrs though. 6 days into cycle, & adding ammonia daily to 4ppm. Every day ammonia is back to .25 with 0 nitrites. Nitrates have been reading low until today. 20ppm in tap water btw. Yesterday has the usual ammonia of .25 ,0 nitrites, 40 ppm nitrate. (20 from tap). Added yet again to 4ppm ammonia. Today is .25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, id say nitrates..idk. Between 80 & 160 if not more, its red. But never seen the slightest nitrite. I just keep re-dosing or cld it be cycled & somehow skipped the nitrites. Proper aeration, no live plants, API good till 2017, added some new items to tank as well as established bb from other tanks.

Back
Top Bottom