fishless cycle update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twinkey

Aquarium Advice Regular
got an update..tested on 9-14...here are my before and after tests..before wc....can it be im gonna finally finish soon..surely hope so
2 hours after wc..will check in the morning again.
BEFORE
ph..............6.0
high ph.......?(color was off the chart...like a deep yellow)
ammonia....0.25ppm
nitrites.......5.0ppm
nitrates......80ppm

AFTER
ph..............7.2
high ph.......7.4
ammonia....2.0ppm(redosed to)
nitrites.......0.25ppm

tested today...

I tested my water today and here it reads...i know you said dont have to test nitrates but i a habit testing them all..sorry..lol..is it normal to jet back up(nitrites)..how long does the cycle last...i read alot of time periods..mine started on july 16th..got my nitrites going on 4 weeks..it seems abit long

ph..............7.2
ammonia....0.25ppm(almost ready to redose back to 2.0ppm)
nitrites.......5.0ppm(back up)
nitrates......80ppm
nitrates......20ppm

It's getting there for sure :)

i surely hope so..got a ?...i did a test on my tap water for nitrite long ago..had the water sit with an air stone in it for 24hrs...it tested 0ppm..now i did it again on sunday..this time i let it go till today...i used a new small bubble stone but i had taken the hose that was in the tank and used it..when i pulled out the the hose out after it been in the water since sun(6 days)..there was a slimmy clear coating on it..did the test and it was at 0.25ppm..where did the slim coating come from. was it from the tank .why would it read nitrite..did i let the run to long

twinkey said:
i surely hope so..got a ?...i did a test on my tap water for nitrite long ago..had the water sit with an air stone in it for 24hrs...it tested 0ppm..now i did it again on sunday..this time i let it go till today...i used a new small bubble stone but i had taken the hose that was in the tank and used it..when i pulled out the the hose out after it been in the water since sun(6 days)..there was a slimmy clear coating on it..did the test and it was at 0.25ppm..where did the slim coating come from. was it from the tank .why would it read nitrite..did i let the run to long

I'm not sure what that slimy feeling is I noticed it on my air line tube that goes into my trash can. I wouldn't worry about it or the small nitrite build up

The nitrite phase typically lasts about 3 weeks so you should be close. Has your PH fallen to 6 very often? A PH of 6 can slow/stop the cycle all together so I'm suspecting why this is taking a bit longer. If you notice PH drop to the mid-low 6's do a large water change to get it back up.

Also for the PH tests, shake the bottle a bit before you use it. ALso no need to use the high PH test unless your normal PH test is at the highest (light blue) reading.

Back
Top Bottom