Fishless cycle - when to remove seed material?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talieandsasha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
started my cycle a week ago, and Sunday I finally managed to add seeding material from a friends tank (a really dirty sponge and bio beads!!) nitrites finally showed up on my test kit yesterday and increased again today! I tested nitrates for fun and they already showed up too, at 5ppm.. is it normal for it to show up already?

lastly, I just wanted to know when I can remove the seeding material? I have it all in a piece of pantyhose since it didn't all fit in my filter.

It can happen that fast. It was the same for me. I saw nitrites after a couple days and was completely cycled a week later. Not sure how long to keep your hosiery in the tank. I would guess that it's whatever is in your filter that is really doing the work. Maybe give it 2 or 3 weeks after your Amm and Nitrites get down to zero.

Water change?

My nitrites are now too high to test but nitrate still on chart, do I do a 50% water change?

Thx :)

Thanks! I did the water change.

If they drop it means I'm on the end of the cycle, and if they rise the cycle is not there yet?

No need to water change during fish less cycle. Just leave it be until nitrites hit 0 along with ammonia. Then do a big water change and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom