Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rebeccawlaw

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm upgrading from my 3 gallon tank to a new 10 gallon tank and I've been attempting a fishless cycle for a few weeks now. I'm at the point where I put in ammonia up to 4-5 ppm and it's gone overnight, nitrites shoot up and they're gone within 24 hours of when I put in the ammonia, but nitrates never go up. So 24 hours after I put in ammonia, I have zeros across the board.

My tank parameters:

10 gallon freshwater tank
Temp: 86 F
Filter: Marineland Bio Wheel Penguin 100
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
pH: 8 (My tap water is 7.2 or so)

I've had only one positive nitrate reading a few nights ago it was at a 5 ppm but now it's at zero again. I'd like to get it to the point where I can safely transfer my preschooler's beloved Betta and perhaps a few tankmates (TBD). Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

Are you shaking the nitrate reagent bottles before adding the to the tube of water and then shaking after you add them?

I ask because some people don't realize they need to shake the bottles to redistribute the chemicals so that they will properly activate.

Also, do have any live plants in the 10g?

Be careful adding tank mates with bettas. Maybe a few snails or something else that will let the betta be king of the upper level of the aquarium. I just gave a snail to a little kid with a betta and he now loves the snail more than his betta. Just some suggestions for you.

I agree with above, you have to shake the daylights out of the reagent bottles before testing and the tube itself during the test.

There's been more than a few times I've came up at 0ppm only to realize I didn't shake the reagent bottles.

Caleb

Thanks

No, I have never shaken the bottles. I will try that when I test tonight. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Thanks also for the snail recommendation. My son would love a snail!

You have to follow the directions exactly, including timing the shaking of the bottles.

Much Better

I retested tonight (the correct way) and the nitrate reading was off the chart. I had just bought the ammonia up to 4.0ppm this afternoon, so the ammonia is currently 1.0ppm and nitrite is 2.0ppm.

Assuming both ammonia and nitrite are zero tomorrow morning, is it safe to do a 90% pwc tomorrow night and put the Betta in on Saturday?

You'll need to get the nitrate down to ~10ppm. Do the 90% wc and then test to see where the nitrate are. As long as the ammonia and nitrite zero out within 24 hours your cycle is complete.

If all youre putting in is a betta then youre fine to just do a 100% water change, refill, let it run for a few hours, and then acclimate the betta. Your cycle is overkill for a single betta atm.

One more question... Will a single betta produce enough waste to keep the tank's bacteria alive?

The tanks bacteria will adjust to whatever bio load the tank has. I.e. if you have your betta in there alone then the bacterial load of the tank will diminish until you add another source of ammonia such as other fish.

Back
Top Bottom