Fishless Cycling For 2 Weeks, No Nitrites..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

softmushroom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Dear Community,
Can someone help me out or throw suggestions?
I've been doing a fishless cycle for about 2 weeks now, not using any plants.

Ammonia levels are around 2-5ppm. Testing with the API test kit.
Ammonia used is the ACE Janitorial Ammonia.

I've been testing every single day. Ammonia hasn't really dropped. No Nitrites at all. My heater is cranked up about 85-90 degrees. My filter is producing large amounts of bubbles with the water flow splashing down. I also have a meshbag filled with gravel that I took from my cousin's aquarium.

What am I doing wrong? I know be patient, but I'm still kinda worried on why nitirites hasn't been showing up. I've also been looking at other forums and many people said that, their nitrites showed up 4-5 days since they started.

Have you tested for nitrates? I know it might be early for it but you never know. I usually test all three at the same time (or within a few minutes of each other). I did a fishless cycle with Harris Teeter ammonia and media from an established filter and could never see the nitrites spike. It is like it went from ammonia to nitrates. Then I started testing at more frequent intervals (every 3-6 hours) for nitrites and finally observed the spike.

As for the ammonia, is it the case where you did the initial dose and it has not dropped yet? Or are you adding ammonia daily?

Dear Community,

Can someone help me out or throw suggestions?

I've been doing a fishless cycle for about 2 weeks now, not using any plants.

Ammonia levels are around 2-5ppm. Testing with the API test kit.

Ammonia used is the ACE Janitorial Ammonia.

I've been testing every single day. Ammonia hasn't really dropped. No Nitrites at all. My heater is cranked up about 85-90 degrees. My filter is producing large amounts of bubbles with the water flow splashing down. I also have a meshbag filled with gravel that I took from my cousin's aquarium.

What am I doing wrong? I know be patient, but I'm still kinda worried on why nitirites hasn't been showing up. I've also been looking at other forums and many people said that, their nitrites showed up 4-5 days since they started.

If, like you said, your Ammonia didn't drop yet, it won't produce nitrites

Took almost two weeks for me too, when it starts to dip, dose it back up, test for nitrites and when they show up, cut your doses to 2ppm and test for your nitrates

Took almost two weeks for me too, when it starts to dip, dose it back up, test for nitrites and when they show up, cut your doses to 2ppm and test for your nitrates
+1

It really can take that long for them to show :(

Here's a laundry list of questions/advisement. Sorry if you answered any already.
- I wouldn't go higher than 85 for temp
-Check your pH, is it over 6.5 minimum? 7.5 is ideal and if you are fishless you can put in some baking soda to raise it to 7.5 IF this is really bothering you. But it's not necessary, but it might speed things up for you.
-Maybe your tap water is low in phosphorous. You could add just a smidge of fish flake and it will decay and add some phosphorous. Again probably not necessary but it might speed things up for you.
- can you fit the gravel IN the filter, or position it right under the filter's outflow? (if it's not already)
-Using normal tap water? Or cut with RO/DI?

It does seem a TAD on the slow side but I wouldn't say it's totally outrageous yet.

Back
Top Bottom