Fishless Cycling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is great news!!!! Sorry, the WRC truck got away but I doubt he would have been of much help.... my water people are useless! :)

This morning ammonia is down to 1, nitrites 0.25, and nitrates are looking darker possibly nearing 40. Should I dose ammonia back up now?

Also PH has dropped from 8.2 to 8.0.

Thats an improvement! Keep a close eye on your ph- if it drops any more, it may be time for a water change. Go ahead & redose your amm to bring it up to 4ppm. Keep us posted! :)

Todays test results are:

0 ammonia
.25 nitrites
nitrates 40-80 ppm
ph back up to 8.2... I think the ammonia boosted it up

I'm guessing that I'm missing the nitrite spike because the angels plus filter pad had a fair amount of nitrite to nitrate bacteria but they still haven't caught up to the ammonia to nitrite bacteria.

Looks really good! You may not see a nitrite spike because of the active filter- we just have to wait for those nitrites to zero & you will be cycled! :)

Today 23 hours from the last test and redose the results were:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - .25
Ph dropped to 7.4

I felt that was too sudden a drop in ph so I did a 50% water change, triple dosed with my new prime dechlorinator, and redosed the ammonia.

Good job! Keep a close eye on your ph- if it starts dropping frequently, we may have to change things up a bit. Keep us posted! :)

Well, 24 hours from the last dose of ammonia up to 4ppm I have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and a bunch of nitrates.

YAY!!! Congrats! Continue to dose amm for a few more days to be sure you continue to get zero readings. If so, then its time for fish!

Either the day before or the morning of adding fish, you will need to skip the ammonia, do a big water change with temp-matched, properly conditioned water & adjust your heater if it was cranked up. It may take more than one big water change to drop your nitrates down to the level of your tap. If your not familiar with 'drip acclimation', check out U-tube for how-to videos. Hope to see pics soon! :)

Thanks a lot guys, especially jlk you kept me going when I thought about giving up! =)

Back
Top Bottom