Fishless Cycling questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishiefishiefishie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

I have gotten back into the hobby after many many years being away. So I'm currently doing a Fishless Cycle for a 55 gallon tank a friend got for me. It is my first time doing a Fishless cycle and I'm currently stuck. Tank has been cycling for about 10 Days now. I had initially dosed ammonia from Ace Hardware to about 6ppm. Little high by accident. But I had also seeded it with a lot of gravel, decorations, fake plants and even the filter bag and media from a established 10 and 20 gallon tank I still have running. I am currently experiencing 2 issues.

1) When I tested for Nitrites today with the API test kit. The resulting color is Grey-ish?? Not even a shade or blue or purple.. just grey. Which doesn't even show on the color board. I thought maybe it was the test bottle had gone bad.. so I tested it against my other tanks and tap water. All came out just fine. Anyone experienced this? Or know what could have caused it?

2) I noticed my PH has dropped from like 7.8 to 6.6. How can I get it back up? I read that using the PH-Up stuff isn't a good idea? Any advice is appreciated. Or if anyone knows what is currently going on with my tank's cycle.

As for readings.

Yesterday.
Ammonia 5
Nitrites 5
Nitrates 40

Today
Ammonia 4
Nitrites...Grey???
Nitrates 30

Thanks in advance!!!
K

1) Try retesting it. Maybe it had to do with the solution.

2) not sure sorry, I'll let an expert answer this

:welcome: to AA!

1...Not sure why this has happend, ive never seen it do grey. What test kit are you using? Maybe it will change as it converts to trates and it will show a different color. If not you can always change some of the water test and re dose ammonia.

2... Is this the same tank? Your better off not to mess with the natural ph of you water. Because then youll need to try and match it when doing water changes and top offs. Something in your water is making it drop or you could have well water. what does your tank consist of? Well water can make changes in ph after being sat out.

I've heard of the nitrite test going grey when nitrites are so high that the test can't read them.

PH dropping is normal during cycling BUT if it drops much lower it's going to stall the bacteria.

Fortunately there's an easy fix for both issues: do a 100% water change (don't forget dechlorinator), wait about 30-60 minutes then test for nitrite. Your nitrite still may be high. Keep doing water changes until you can get the nitrites to a readable level on the test (<2 is good). Then don't dose ammonia for the rest of that day. Then the next day and for 2-3 days after, only dose ammonia to 2 (this will give the nitrite bacteria a bit of time to catch up). During this time watch your PH; if it starts plummeting do another water change and if it keeps dropping you mgiht want to consider adding some crushed coral or argonite (sold in most fish stores in the saltwater section; you'll only need a few pinches though) to your filter to buffer the water. After a few days of dosing to 2, start increasing it slowly from 3 and then to 4. Keep us posted (you can post your daily test results here if you'd like more help).

+1
Follow Librarygirls excellent advice! Your nitrites are sky high. The test will turn an odd grey, odd blueish, hot pink or even clear when the levels reach a level that can no longer be measured accurately. Keep us posted! :)

Thank you all for the replies. Thank you librarygirl! I will try your recommendations once I get home from work tonight and I'll keep you guys posted.

:thanks:

Update: Thanks for the advice again! The huge water change definitely helped and put all the readings back on track.

Ammo is 0. And I'll give it dose to 2ppm tonight.
Nitrite is 4
Nitrate is 30
Ph is 7.6

And now..... the cycle continues.... sigh. My fishes are all in their old small tank... just staring at their new large home for now.

Back
Top Bottom