Fishless tank cloudy after 36 hours.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cycling from scratch usually takes about six weeks. Our family was impatient. We called the local aquarium society, and a kind fellow fishkeeper gave us some dirty filter floss from his healthy, established tank. We put it in our filter and had almost an instant cycle.

Congratulations on your new tank!

thanks, we have had a rotting shrimp in our tank for a week now. im going to go out and buy some ammonia tests and see where we are at. the water is still cloudy but ill worry about that later. im more concerned about the cycling. ill keep you guys updated.

I find feeding the tank everyday just like you have fish is a great way to start and continue a cycle until you are done with. No shrimp to watch rot and no measuring and searching for pure ammonia.

Consider checking to see if there is a local tropical fish club/aquarium club whatever in your area, if there is and you get in touch with them I am 100% sure someone would be more than happy to give you a cupful of gunk squeezed from their filter--which is exactly what you want to get your cycle jump-started in a jiffy.

It's also a great way to meet other people interested in the hobby (who can give you good, solid advice--unlike 95% of pet store employees who either don't have a clue, or else will say anything they think you want to hear just to make a sale), and get your hands on lots of rare fish that you'll likely never see in your local pet stores--or, get your hands on "common" fish but at a much reduced price. Many aquarium clubs have monthly meetings with fish auctions where you can get a whole bag of nice fish for almost nothing.

here is a update.
week 3.
mr shrimp still intact.
NO2 10+ ppm (10ppm is the highest this kit tests for)
NO3 between 40 and 80 ppm.
the water is still cloudy.

question, i can still leave the shrimp in there right? i was thinking i might need to introduce a fresher dead shrimp but then i thought if i can still see the shrimp then it must still be decaying and if its still decaying then its still putting ammonia in the tank.

time for a 40-50% water change so you can get the levels down to where you can track them. Crank up the heater to mid 80s too

this would be my first water change, i have just one question. do i dechlorinate before i add it to the tank or do i add the fresh water to the tank and then add the solution?

I do it before also,
If you do it after you add the water to the tank then you should dose enough for the entire tank volume

Back
Top Bottom