Floating Fishies at Chillys house =(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chilly Willy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I did a water change last night I would say probably 30%. Nothing different then I have done for the last 5 water changes.

This morning I woke up to get ready for work I noticed 5 of my Tetras sleeping on the filter and on the top. Obviously they didn't have a tank cult and all drink the purple koolaid last night. So my question is did my water change kill my fish? Am I the murderer?

I should mention that this is only day #26 of the tanks life. I tested pH and it's at a steady 7.22 (digital meter I cheat) and ammonia came up 0.0. Cindy (Flugg) had mentioned to me to pick up some other test kits that I need like NO3 and NO4 so I do not know what those readings are.

I take harsh comments well, just don't be harsh about it!

Well I really doubt that a 30% wc (if done properly), will stress any fish to the point of death, so you didn't kill your fish with a wc. I would guess nitrite poisoning.

Ouch Chilly. Do you use tap water for your water changes? Unless your have well water, city water has chlorine and other additives that need to be removed before adding it to your tank. While your picking up your test kit, please pic up some dechlorinator as well.

Opps make one up for Chilly the dope that I did not know :(

Lesson learned next time fishless cycle hope I can sleep tonight knowing im a fish murderer!

I made that mistake a few months back. It happens. Get a dechlorinator that removes chlorine and chloramine. Dechlor is also called water conditioner.

Ah Chilly, your no dope. Like you said, lesson learned. We've all made mistakes. Shake it off and keep your chin/beak up. :wink:

Don't worry chilly, you're NOT the only one who forgets about dechlor.....I went my first 2 months without knowing. Until my dad told me :roll: . I did have hardy fish though (as in: tetras (neons especially) are not hardy at all....)

Back
Top Bottom