Fluval Edge 23l/6g Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

galacticcookie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I've had an aquarium before, and have rediscovered the beauty of them again, and like many other people have fallen for the aesthetic appeal of the Fluval Edge. I really like the compact design and, again, it's unique appearance. For those not familiar with the tank, I've attached a picture of it. It's a rectangular tank that is filled to the top so it's viewable from all angles. There's a very small removable lid in the centre of the sealed glass cover which allows for cleaning, catching and through which oxygen may pass.

However, I've found out that the tank is perhaps not quite as ideal as I thought it was. It can't handle nearly as many fish as I hoped it would, and the small access lid means it's difficult to clean.

Basically, what I'm asking is;

1) For current or previous owners of the Fluval Edge, what is it like? Is it difficult to clean? What is the light like for growing plants?

2) With such a small tank, what kind of fish or invertebrates can I have? I'd really like to have a tropical tank, and buy a heater made for the tank. I quite like guppies, dwarf gouramis and cherry shrimps. Would I be able to have these all together, and at what quantities, or would I have to have a gourami/guppy only tank? I also like bettas, but because it's filled with water pretty much to the top, I don't think they would be suitable.

3) Could anyone list some easy beginner plants that I could grow? I've never grown live plants before, and the LED lighting apparently isn't very good for growing plants, so lowlight plants only please. Or would I be better to just buy artificial plants?

4) I've never kept tropical fish before, so have I decided upon the wrong fish/tank? Any other tank or fish suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The tank, however, needs to have a cover.

Thanks in advance, Adam

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

First off, welcome to the forum!

That looks like a very well planted and scared tank. Very nice.

I personally have no experience with the Fluval Edges, but I hear that they are very nice. I think the light should be fine for low tech plants. Are you planning on injecting Co2 in this tank?

This tank is big enough for guppies, but not for gouramis. You could do a trio of guppies in here, and they should be fine. Another alternative is endlers, which are smaller livebearers that are still colorful, just stay smaller. There are lots of nano fish out there, including dwarf puffers (my favorite :) ) scarlet badis, boraras brigittae (chili rasbora) and all neocardiania shrimp species. Red cherries are by far the most common and the easiest to keep. Most other neocardiania are just color morphs of the red cherry shrimp. Since the shrimp and the baby shrimp are so small, it's easy for the fish to predate on them. That means that only smaller are recommended for them in the same tank. Endlers would be perfect tank mates and would only eat some baby shrimplets if they ever even found them. I keep the RCS with my dwarf puffers and I've the dwarfs hun the babies down and eat them. Do some research on some nano fish if you like, and we can help you with whatever fish you find and you like.

IMO you can do all sorts of low light plants here. Low light plants include java moss, anubias, java fern, crypts, and a lot more I can't think of off the top of my head. Any crypts and swords will require a very nutrient rich substrate because that's where the pull all their nutrition from. That's why thee plants don't need lots of light. I would stay away from artificial plants, especially if you're going to keep shrimp. They just don't look as good as real plants and will never do the interesting things real plants do. Real plants are important for shrimp because they attract lots of microorganisms and go a biofilm that the shrimp feed off of.

Finally, I think that you've picked a good tank. It is better to start off big, but this should be fine. You have plenty of options here as far as stocking and planting goes. If you find a fish/plant that you absolutely love, report back to us and we'll be able to help you! (y)

Thank you so much for your help! I researched some nanofish, and they're all lovely. I especially like the Scarlet Badis, Dwarf Pufferfish, Endler's Livebearer and the Celestial Pearl Danio. Are any of these fish good community species?

Thanks again

Endlers and CPD for sure. I think scarlet badi also require a group to live happily. Personally never messed with puffers, they'd eat more Shrimp than I'd like.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Brilliant, that's really helpful. Thank you both so much :)

One not mentioned yet is ember and other nano tetra. I have both ember tetra and CPD with my blue neocaridina, no issues and it's been a little while. If someone were going to be eaten, I'm sure it'd happen by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've just googled ember tetra, and they're gorgeous. Thanks :)

Chili rasboras are really cool. I would recommend dwarf puffers though, they're awesome and mine only ever ate tiny snails like trumpets, no shrimp.

Chili rasboras are really cool. I would recommend dwarf puffers though, they're awesome and mine only ever ate tiny snails like trumpets, no shrimp.

I do like the dwarf puffers, but are they good in a community tank with other fish?

I have one of these fluvals, it's a piece of work. Nice tank though. I have upgraded the light and it holds some higher end guppies along wiht plants

I do like the dwarf puffers, but are they good in a community tank with other fish?

Dwarf puffs are really territorial and do best in a species only tank. in this tank you could have 2-3 of them. The only fish they do good with are oto's for some strange reason. Here's a short little species info I typed up and give all people looking into dwarf puffs:

The Fluval Edge would be perfect for a small group, maybe 2 or 3. I have 2 in my 5.5 and they get along just fine, with the occasional territorial dispute. I also keep them with a lot of RCS, but like Theresa said I don't expect to see lots of shrimplets. They do leave the adult and juvenile shrimp alone though. There's 1 Amano shrimp in there as well and she's 2 times the size of the puffs so she gets left alone of course :lol: I wouldn't dare add any other fish to the tank, even in a 10 gallon, let alone a 5.5 The only fish that they always get along with and many have reported successful with are oto cats. They stay small and eat lots of algae. For some reason the puffs leave them alone. Maybe because of their dull colors and they don't move a lot?

DP's really do appreciate a planted tank. My 5.5 is very heavily planted, and they are constantly exploring and checking things out. One way to know if the puffs are bored is if they are "glass surfing". This is when they swim up and down or against the glass. My puffs do this whenever I enter the room because they are begging for food of course lol. They are highly inquisitive fish, very intelligent and very interactive as well. They peck at my hand during maintenance, beg for food, and know the difference between me and my siblings, mom and dad, probably because they know that I give them food, which brings me to the next subject of discussion :D

Dwarf puffers are listed as an intermediate fish for a reason. For me, that main reason is feeding. Most will need live food at some point. Some will accept frozen food that is waved in front of them for a while. Never, ever ever ever have I seen a puff accept flake or pellet food and I don't think I ever will. You can keep all kinds of live food cultures for them, like black worms (what I have right now), pest snails that grow and reproduce quickly, like pond, ramshorn and MTS snails, shrimp (RCS shrimplets) this may not be the best option because I would rather have shrimp in the tank to enjoy, and they cost money, which means you can make money off your live food :lol:

My blackworm culture is really simple. Just a small plastic container (just a small tupperware tub) and some plastic mesh for them to hold onto. Got a big sheet of the mesh at hobby lobby for 99 cents. Add your worms and just change the water every couple days. Don’t feed or nothing. Works perfectly for me.

Overall, they’re great fish. Pretty easy to keep IMO. Only the feeding is a problem. If you’re willing to go the extra mile for that, go ahead and try them!

Back
Top Bottom