frustrated!!! longest cycle EVERRRR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paytertot

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm getting really frustrated here. I've been fishless cycling my 36 gallon for just over two months now. I added seeded media and it didn't even help! How?? Why is it taking so long?! I want fish :( :banghead:

What are your levels at? Has there been no advancement? Any nitrites yet?

What a kick in the pants.

I'm using the API master kit and using ace ammonia. It advanced for a while there, and I had nitrites, but I went somewhere for a couple days and forgot to have my mom add ammonia. When I came back there was nothing. Well except nitrates, but then I dosed ammo back to 4 and it took forever to go back down -.- now I'm not seeing nitrites and its taking a couple days just for ammonia to go down.

Are you watching the ph? If it drops below 6 it will stall your cycle too. Have you had to do any wc?

The ph never goes below 7.4 that I've seen. I've done pwcs several times because the ph got super high. And once cuz I overdosed ammonia, and then a couple other times just cuz.

Did you use seeded filter media? Try seachem stability if anything I used that with filter media and in 1 week I was cycled

It should've did you put it in the filter?

Do you have things in your tank so the BB can live on? Gravel rocks ect

Brox said:
Do you have things in your tank so the BB can live on? Gravel rocks ect

Yea, I have sand, I have a huge piece of driftwood, and I have a bunch of plants. But people cycle bare tanks all the time, I have plenty of filter media packed in there and plenty of filtration.

With the seeded material will you still see all that normal stuff that happens during cycling??? I was under the impression that it took care of pretty much all of that...but I am new;)

What temp is the tank? What dechlorinator are you using? What water source (tap, well, RO, etc)?

Sounds like something stalled it but not sure what if the PH is ok and you didn't overdose ammonia and keep it in there for long. Do you know if your municipality uses chlorine or chloramines and how much? It's possible your water has more than the standard amount of dechlorinator can detoxify but that's just a wild guess.

You could do one of two things here:

1. Do a massive water change, double dose dechlorinator, wait an hour and test ammonia. If it's anything except 0, keep it there, don't dose more. If it's higher than 4, do another water change (and then we would have found the reason for the stall lol). If it's 0, don't dose for 24 hours. Then after 24 hours, only dose to 1-2 if it's lower than that. Keep it there for a few days, dose if it gets to <.5, if not then leave it. Then hopefully within a few days or so it'll start eating through that 1-2 ppms of ammonia and you can raise it slowly.

2. Or, you can do a massive water change, drop down the temp if it's high, make sure there isn't ammonia in there and nitrates are <10 and start adding some fish. I think you'd be safe to add a few small fish (depending on what you're planning on getting); they wouldn't produce that much ammonia and if your tank can process some then you should be able to proceed with a fish-in cycle without too much bother. It's up to you.

I feel your pain.....my fishless cycle took about 7 months (don't ask). :D

It couldn't be anyhing with my water, I have a 55 gallon discus tank that I've had for almost a year and a half. I use tap with it too.
Oh and the temp is like 76 or 78.

librarygirl said:
What temp is the tank? What dechlorinator are you using? What water source (tap, well, RO, etc)?

Sounds like something stalled it but not sure what if the PH is ok and you didn't overdose ammonia and keep it in there for long. Do you know if your municipality uses chlorine or chloramines and how much? It's possible your water has more than the standard amount of dechlorinator can detoxify but that's just a wild guess.

You could do one of two things here:

1. Do a massive water change, double dose dechlorinator, wait an hour and test ammonia. If it's anything except 0, keep it there, don't dose more. If it's higher than 4, do another water change (and then we would have found the reason for the stall lol). If it's 0, don't dose for 24 hours. Then after 24 hours, only dose to 1-2 if it's lower than that. Keep it there for a few days, dose if it gets to <.5, if not then leave it. Then hopefully within a few days or so it'll start eating through that 1-2 ppms of ammonia and you can raise it slowly.

2. Or, you can do a massive water change, drop down the temp if it's high, make sure there isn't ammonia in there and nitrates are <10 and start adding some fish. I think you'd be safe to add a few small fish (depending on what you're planning on getting); they wouldn't produce that much ammonia and if your tank can process some then you should be able to proceed with a fish-in cycle without too much bother. It's up to you.

I feel your pain.....my fishless cycle took about 7 months (don't ask). :D

I was looking over this just now and had a few questions. As it states in option one, I would leave ammo at zero for 24 hours before dosing again. Would that not starve off any BB I do have in there?
I've been thinking about doing a fish in cycle from here but I'm not sure if I could keep up with the water changes every day or so... My python broke so its even harder now. But idk, I was thinking of just getting some neon tetras to try to cycle it, then when I'm finished with them I'll put them in my main tank for the rope fish.

Back
Top Bottom