Getting started in aquascaping a planted freshwater aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3orangewhips

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been thinking for years about getting back in to aquariums. I had one as a kid in the 80's, and it was basically what you'd expect: 10 gallon, bubbles, some tetras, etc. Never needed the heater on the second floor in Houston.

I had some oscars in the 90's in the same tank. Without the resources of the internet and being a teenager, they did not fare well.

I've had the yen for about 5 years now, but something always came up. I recently (a few years ago) quit the expensive miniature painting hobby. I'm about to quit smoking, which will save me $7000 a year between my wife and myself.

I'm ready.

I've delved deeply into YouTube, with the usual Internet caveat. I've been to the local fish store (Aquarium World here in NW Houston, if anyone is local).

I want a smallish cube or low tank. I prefer the look of the rimless, and I've decided to go with glass. I want to start smallish and maybe add tanks in the future, rather than go with one big tank. I am comfortable with a smaller amount of smaller fish.

So the LFS guy doesn't stock the sizes I want; I'm old and like to see things in person. I have a few more options in Houston, but it seems to be a marine town.

To start off with, I'm thinking this 23 gallon cube from CAD lights:

https://www.cadlights.com/index.php...id=322&zenid=7add90afc8a6531fd4123b55705d54ad

I feel like that's a good size.

The problem is the stand. They don't appear to make them, so I located this one:

Oceanic BioCube 14 Gallon Aquarium Stand, 15.75" L X 15.4" W X 29.5" H | Petco Store

This guy is for a 14 gallon aquarium, and I'm worried 23 gallons will crush it.

So my question is, do you think it's doable? If not, how do you go about finding stands?

Last edited by a moderator:
I look on craigslist and yardsale sites, also just figure out what kind of weight I'm going to be dealing with tank wise, and then just find a dresser or other regular furniture to put it on. Once you get to bigger tanks you'll need stand made for aquariums but for smaller you can get away with non-typical stands

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Definitely Craigslist. Save a ton of money and get a system with all the extras. I saved over half th cost of new on my last tank

Love Aquarium World :) I used to live bicycling distance from that store. I've now moved across town, but I still make the trek (and brave the construction) a few times a year to go back for a visit. Unfortunately, I don't know any other good FW stores in your area. Sorry! I have a couple small shops in the Sugar Land/Missouri City area I like, if you ever happen into this stretch of the woods.

I have had aquariums on coffee tables, dressers, buffets... Resale shops often have sturdy but damaged/unfashionable furniture pretty cheap. If you want something modern-looking, though, it could take some hunting, or some DIY refacing (a coat of paint and some doors from Ikea's kitchen cabinets, maybe?). Good luck!

I'd go with acrylic. Way better than glass, in my opinion. Save a bunch of weight, has rounded corners, no metal rims, a cleaner look, won't crack or leak. Scratches easily buff out. You can get a tank and stand off the internet of almost any size or shape.

Back
Top Bottom