GH and KH Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anteatergoanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't know anything much about gh and KH, but was told that if I use Seachem Buffer for the KH and Seachem Replenish for GH, that would stabilise the tank....is this right. What range should the Gh and KH be, I test it and don't know if my readings are in range. Would appreciate your advice...thanks

What are you testing with, strips or a liquid test kit? Liquid test kits are the most accurate. I use API Gh and Kh test kit which has tests for both. A reading of 4 with both is enough calcium and magnesium. Anything below that can cause problems especially with ph swings. You should test your tap water and tank water.

Thanks Rivercat, I don't have a test kit for either, just use the strips, which as you said aren't much good, reading is GH 30 and KH 0 in the tank, I used the last strip to get that reading, so not sure what the tap is. I will get the API test kit tomorrow.

Is there anything else that I need to check for? I do Ph, Amm, Nitrate, Nitrite.....
Appreciate your help

Should I add some crushed coral to the filter or a couple of shells in my tank, to raise the KH? My Ph range is 7.1-7.3, I don't want to alter that if I can help it. With the GH what sort of rocks should I put into the tank? Maybe I should use the products listed above, I am loathe to put chemicals in the tank though. OR, should I just leave well enough alone, fish are happy, active and feeding well. I am really lost with this

If you gh and kh are 4 or above you really don't need to do anything. Most fish and plants can acclimate and do just fine in a higher gh and kh. On the other than levels lower than 4 can cause problems with a stable ph and may not be providing enough calcium and magnesium for plants. If you want to increase kh using shells, crushed coral (in a filter), or even some rocks like Texas holey rocks will increase kh. If gh is too low I use MGSO4 Magnesium Sulfate.

I think the basic checks for a tank are constant temp, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, >20 nitrate, 4-6 Gh & 4-6 Kh. Test tap water after it's stood for 24 hrs so you know what you're adding on a water change. De chlorinate water before adding to tank. I like Gh and Kh to be about 6 but defo over 4. A very low Kh will cause your Ph to be unstable. I tend to control my Gh and Kh but allow Ph to become stabilised and chasing an ideal Ph with chemicals is not easy and the tank has a natural tendency to want to return to its natural Ph.
I advice the API test master liquid kit and the Kh/Gh kit. When you understand your water you can make informed decisions if you want to alter it.
Best of luck with your tank. Steve.

Hi, my reading are KH - 0 , GH - 30 (could be .30, I used a test strip ) My Ph ranges between 7.1 - 7.3. Temp is constant 26 deg. I was putting salt in the water, as advised byLFS but stopped that because I was told my loaches are sensitive to salt. I'm worried about the PH increasing if I add shells in the tank or coral. My readings are Nitrite - 0, PH 7.2 , Nitrate 10. I use Seachem prime to dechlorinate the water.
I don't use chemicals in my tank, tried that with a ph problem ages ago, didn't work) . How much Magnesium would I put in the tank Rivercats?
Thank you both Rivercats and ScottJudd for responding, willing to take any advice.

If you don't have a reading of 4 on kh you need to add the rocks, shells, or crushed coral till you reach that level or else you could have a sudden ph drop due to the lack of buffers in your tank. I doubt you have a gh of 30 and those test strips aren't reliable. I'd get the API liquid test kit for both and see where you are at especially on the gh. I wouldn't worry too much about adding anything for the gh until you get an accurate reading.

Thanks RC, I will get some crushed coral and put in the filter, would seashells in the actual tank do the trick? I have some really nice ones which would look great in the tank. The GH on the stick, it came up a bluey colour and had 30 next to it, but I will get a specific kit to test it, I know the strips aren't very good. Thanks again for your help.

Shells will work but regardless of what you use you need to monitor your gh/kh/ph so you can get it where you want, which means you may need to add or detract from the initial amount used.

Back
Top Bottom