Good information source

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davidb6

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Seriously considering changing from reef tank to a fresh water tank. Is there a good web site or book to learn about the latest technologies in keeping fresh water?

I know all about calcium reactors, protein skimmers and refugiums but I know nothing about keeping fresh water.

Thanks

The latest information won't be found in books because of the length of time it takes to write, publish, and distribute. There are a variety of sites available with information on Freshwater aquariums, but they tend to be geared towards specific aspects of aquaria. Do you have any idea what type of aquarium you'd like to have? (Cichlids, Planted, Community, etc.)

Best general info is at the KRIB FAQ:
Beginner FAQ: Contents

This is the mirror of the beginner page ... the whole FAQ goes in depth & get into advance subjects .... I learn pretty much everything I needed at the KRIB.

Purrbox - looking to setup a planted tank about 180 gal. I agree, the latest techniques are not out in books yet; that's just what I'm looking for.

jsoong - thanks!. Having salt for so long I have the general idea, just want to learn more about advanced lighting, filtration, Co2, etc.

Here's more specific questions -

What type of lighting is required for a planted tank?
Do you use a sump in freshwater?
What is Co2 used for, is it necessary?
Like salt, do we try to create a complete eco system with little to no external filtration?

Thanks!

Purrbox - looking to setup a planted tank about 180 gal. I agree, the latest techniques are not out in books yet; that's just what I'm looking for.

jsoong - thanks!. Having salt for so long I have the general idea, just want to learn more about advanced lighting, filtration, Co2, etc.

Like salt, do we try to create a complete eco system with little to no external filtration?

Thanks!

If you want to find the lastest and greatest products for a FW tank, I suggest looking at on-line stores. Dr's foster and smith have a great variey of newer products and also has some good articles.

Lighting - The amount depends on what type of plants or planted tank you want to maintain. You are looking for a minimum of around 1 WPG of 5000 - 10000K light.

Sump- If injecting CO2, it is not a good idea as it will off gas a lot of the CO2. It has been done, but it takes some work.

CO2 - It's a major part of the plant's biomass and therefore is required to promote heathly plant growth. The higher the lighting, the more important CO2 becomes.

filtration - I'm not really sure what your question involves. I know plenty of SW tanks that have external filtration. (sumps, Refugiums, ect...)
If you are going to maintain a decent sized FW tank, you are going to need external filtration.

This forum is also a GREAT source of info on the 'lastest and greated' products for an aquarium.

Purrbox - looking to setup a planted tank about 180 gal.

In that case I highly recommend that you check out the Planted Tank forum. There's a sticky at the top and the links have recently been fixed. This will get you a lot of the information that you are looking for and help you to figure out what questions you still need to ask.

You'll want at least 1 WPG for a low light aquarium, more if you want to expand your plant options.

If you're going to inject CO2, then a sump will just be counterproductive in most situations.

CO2 provides carbon to plants which one of the nutrients they need to grow. As the lighting is increased so are the demands for CO2. Somewhere between 2 & 3WPG you'll find that CO2 injection goes from being optional to necessary to meet the increased demands. Plants can make use of extra CO2 which is why you actually will get benefit from injecting CO2 in aquariums where there's not enough light to make it strictly necessary.

It is possible to do a planted tank with just plants for filtration. You'll still need a pump/powerhead(s) for water movement, but the plants can provide ample surface area for beneficial bacteria in addition to consuming Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates. Most however will use either a canister or HOB filter in addition to the plants.

Good info, thanks..no sump, use CO2, low lighting based on plant life..

Couple more general questions to help direct my reading and learning -
1, Do I need to purify (RO/DI) my tap water before adding it to the tank?
2, Is there a recommended water movement volume for freshwater tanks?

For most plants your tap water should be just fine unless it's severely messed up. I'm not sure on the turnover requirements.

Back
Top Bottom