Gotta love yard sales!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just picked up 2 10G aquariums at a yard sale this morning. Both have covers with lights, filters, gravel, heater, thermometers and everything needed to run. Also one has a stand. Got both of them for $30. Just goes to show that you can find good deals if you look around. Now both of my girls (4 and 7) can have a tank in their rooms! Pretty stoked. (yes, they both know that they have to cycle first!)

Attachments

• DSC00535.jpg
    DSC00535.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 82
Gonna be up to the girls. With some guidance of course! Probably neons and small stuff like that. Gonna start a big project on my 115G cichlid tank also, so I have alot of work ahead. Want to change the substrate and the filtering system in the 115G, so probably gonna start the 10's in the girls rooms cycling then start the change in the 115. Also nursing the sick angel out of the 84G. Lots going on right now!!!

Yea sure sounds like it. I'm stuck in a dorm room for the next 6 months it sucks! Lol But I have my fish to nurse right now as well.

Keep us posted on things!

sweet good deal... never found one yet though i never stop lol always some around here.

For some reason tanks and accessories are priced at gold prices around here, everyone wants more then the stores do for used stuff, most of them are filthy when you go to check them out too. its really pathetic.

its yard sale season and im going to be huntin. lol. icant wait for some more yard sales in my area

You can sometimes find good buys at club auctions. I got 2 20longs free, and bought 2 33 Longs (4ft) for 30 each.

For some reason tanks and accessories are priced at gold prices around here, everyone wants more then the stores do for used stuff, most of them are filthy when you go to check them out too. its really pathetic.

I've noticed this on craigslist in pittsburgh. They want $150 for a 30g! I know it comes with lights heater filter etc but still.. its used! You could spend another $50-100 and get everything new! Every once in a while you can find a good buy though. I check it out every week to see if there are any good deals.

I love yard sales. I picked up a nice 20 gallon cast iron fish tank stand for 3 bucks yesterday. ^,^ I just had to get it since I have the same one at home but smaller. Matching stands ftw

I LOVE craigslist... i have got all of my aquariums from there... 55's, 125, and 300 and i only spent around $500 on all of them, and that includes the filters, fish, gravel, rock, decor, and chemicals... i got a 55 with 2 whisper 60's with a nice cedar stand and canopy that somebody didnt want for $10, and they even offered me a bunch of fish... i highly recommend searching craigslist

It is kind of sad that people buy all this stuff then get in over their head and end up selling it all on the cheap. But its good for us!!!

yes, alot of them i have got are ones from people who up-sized and needed to make the space for their new ones and were just desperate to get them...

Can't beat the deals if you look around.
I picked up a 30 gal long with hood, 2 hob filters, air pump and a couple of nice decorations for $10 at a yard sale last week.
My 75 gallon I bought last year, I found on Craigslist. Marineland with everything including wooden stand and even gravel, Brand New from a pet store for $250. The only problem was some deep scratches on the doors of the stand. A little sandpaper and some varnish took care of that.
There are always great deals out there if you are patient and look around.

30 gallon long? im jealous. been looking for a cheap one at that size but its a little uncommon in my area. Craigslist is great, but its sad sometimes to see what people cram into a single tank. Example:I found a guy selling a 10 gallon tank today with about 40 small to medium fish in it. Hoorrribly overcrowded

i've gotten a 75 gal with stand, a 40 tall with light, a 40 breeder with light/filter/heater, and a 10g with light/filter/protein skimmer all free. just cost me gas.
i've also gotten quite a few fish with them free.

here is the tank im thinking of getting.. it doesnt have anything except the tank, stand, and canopy, but they want $100... its 185 gallons... compliments of craigslist :)

Last edited:
interesting shape. you would definitely need some power heads for the water flow in that tank. or at leats put a filter intake/outfeed on each side

Back
Top Bottom