Gravel vs sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimpru

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Getting ready to setup my 55 gal and was considering using pool sand instead of gravel. Just wondering what the pros and cons of doing so is. Also is there anything I need to be aware of when using sand. It will be a freshwater community tank.
Thanks

I started out with gravel, but soon switched to sand. Pool filter sand to be exact. If you have fish that eat off the bottom it will be easier to pick food off the sand because it wont fall in between the pieces of gravel. Cleaning will also be easier for the same reason.

Make sure if you decide to use sand that you rinse rinse rinse, stir it up and rinse some more to help avoid cloudy water!

I used combination of gravel, eco, and laterite. Feeds my plants well without having to add root tabs. I didn't have luck using sand, although it can look very cool. I felt my plants roots were rotting and falling apart.

I used combination of gravel, eco, and laterite. Feeds my plants well without having to add root tabs. I didn't have luck using sand, although it can look very cool. I felt my plants roots were rotting and falling apart.

Thanks for the reply. Can you educate me on what Eco and Laterite is.
Thanks

I'm interested in finding out what they are as well. :) I've been thinking about using some sort of sand in my 20gallon with my angelfish, but I was worried it may have some negative effects on them like getting sand in their eyes, or them ingesting some. Is this a stupid worry? Or does it happen?

I'm going into my first sand venture soon. In my big tank I have regular gravel. Although I love my gravel I think sand looks a lot more natural and have wanted to try it out for a while. Any great sand tips would be appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom