Green puffer questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ejaramillo01

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 10G fully cycled QT tank, has been running for 3 months. I did fishless cycle with it, and then has been hosting 5 serpai tetras. The tank is constantly at 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 10 to 20 Nitrates, pH is 7.4, temperature is around 78 degrees. 30% weekly PWC.

My son wants me to give him this tank for his room, he wants to change the decorations, and he wants to keep 3 green puffers. Obviously I will transfer my tetras to my other tank.

My questions are:

Is the green puffer a brackish ? So do I need to add salt to the 10G tank? How much salt? For a 10G tank are 3 green puffers right for the bioload?

Also can I add a bottom feeder or algae eater to keep the tank clean? Which cleaner fish will be good with the green puffers?

I had a green spotted puffer and placeo fish and the puffer killed it within 3 days

You need at least a 30g for one GSP. Or if u get some dwarf puffers u could do 5g per puffer. GSPs are brackish and dwarfs are fresh.

I have a juvenile predator tank with a tiger dat , red tailed barracuda, Senegal bichir and a gsp along with three corys the gsp is VERY nippy I'm hoping that in a little bit he will calm down since he is only been in the tank 3 days but I'm starting to think I might have to move him to the 20gal

A Single Green Spotted Puffer needs a 30 gallon tank alone (more larger tanks for additional puffers). Yes, the GPS are brackish, needing a Specific gravity of around 1.005 (which you will need a hydrometer to test). Im not sure on how much salt you will need to add, but someone around here should know.

GPS are known to be aggressive nippers and are the best tank-mates with other brackish fish. I would just recommend keeping them in a species only tank.

Like said, 1-2 Dwarf puffers (Freshwater) could fit in your tank (even smaller tanks like 5 gallons). They can go with otocinclus just fine (dont bother them for some reason, but other they do.)

Thanks to all for great advice!

We are not ready for brackish, we will try a single dwarf puffer and 2 ottos.

That will keep my son (8 years old) busy and hopefully he will get hook as I did with this hobby.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom