having a hard time determining

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rich6459

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do you think I have nitrates? I can't tell.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110325_181121.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_181121.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 102
You have to make sure you follow the directions to get accurate readings. The test tube has to be against a white background and in bright light. The colors change quite a bit based on the lighting (they look darker if the lighting isn't very bright). Based on that picture, I'd say you're on the lower end, like less than 10ppm, but it looks dark. I'd say if you put a little light on it, it would be closer to 0ppm.

You have to make sure you follow the directions to get accurate readings. The test tube has to be against a white background and in bright light. The colors change quite a bit based on the lighting (they look darker if the lighting isn't very bright). Based on that picture, I'd say you're on the lower end, like less than 10ppm, but it looks dark. I'd say if you put a little light on it, it would be closer to 0ppm.

Yeah, it's hard to tell sometime looking at all the angles. Sometimes if I want to imagine it's darker than it is I hold it up against the card when i compare it. To me it looks like you might have the beginnings of something, but I didn't count anything until the solution definitely looked orange to me.

Also for testing make sure you closely follow the directions for shaking it up. 30 seconds for the #2 bottle, and 1 minute for the whole thing. This makes a big difference, one time I didn't shake it long enough and the majority of the tube was yellow with a little bit of red pooled on the top. After shaking it a bit more it all combined into a nice orange color.

BTW, does anyone else hate how much the API test tubes leak? I've gotta shake mine behind the shower curtain or it gets all over my walls, and I'm holding the cap on for all it's worth!

eco23 said:
Also for testing make sure you closely follow the directions for shaking it up. 30 seconds for the #2 bottle, and 1 minute for the whole thing. This makes a big difference, one time I didn't shake it long enough and the majority of the tube was yellow with a little bit of red pooled on the top. After shaking it a bit more it all combined into a nice orange color.

BTW, does anyone else hate how much the API test tubes leak? I've gotta shake mine behind the shower curtain or it gets all over my walls, and I'm holding the cap on for all it's worth!

10 - 30ppm isn't bad IMO. Anything over 40ppm is what I was told.

The others, no biggie. N03, I have a shop cloth I wrap it in so it doesn't spray/stain my GF's new carpet lol.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Also, on the directions, it states not to ask any others for help when it comes to determining the results (Not discouraging you to not ask for help, but im just saying what the directions did).

Just thought I'd throw it out there: make sure you shake the second nitrate bottle vigorously for like 2-3 min. Otherwise it may not be accurate, at least, from my experience.

Back
Top Bottom