heater placement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smomus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 30g tank. Does it matter where the heater and/or thermometer are placed? I've had the heater in the back right of the tank with the thermometer front left (the filter is on the back left). In reading tho I'm wondering if I should move heater closer to filter? If I do that what's the best place for the thermometer?
Thanks in advance :)

The manual with my heater said to place the thermometer opposite of the heater. I'm new and all but it makes since. Because if it's to close then your not getting an accurate reading of the over all tank.

yep - you want the heater close to the water flow (helps circulate the heated water) and you want the thermometer opposite kinda of the heater. so I would put heater in back left but more in the middle not the corner and put the thermometer in the front where it is easy to read. if that is the left then leave it there, but if it is not an issue then move it over to the right. It should be fine either way

I have been wondering this same thing for months now! So you are suggesting putting the heater next to the filter? I've always wanted to do this to better hide it behind plants etc but since the lids to the tanks always have these convenient cut outs that seem to imply the heater should go in the opposite corner I've always done that. I'd love permission to put the heater and filter closer together!

VioletEmber said:
I have been wondering this same thing for months now! So you are suggesting putting the heater next to the filter? I've always wanted to do this to better hide it behind plants etc but since the lids to the tanks always have these convenient cut outs that seem to imply the heater should go in the opposite corner I've always done that. I'd love permission to put the heater and filter closer together!

Exactly! I just pt the heater in the cut out and thought it good. Then I started wondering if the thermometer was better at the top or bottom of the tank and while looking for that saw my heater is in the wrong place. So much to learn and think abt with an aquarium! Surprised I haven't killed any of the fish yet!

jetajockey said:
The ideal place I think would be along the substrate line and in the area with the most flow, but it's usually not an issue where it's placed as long as you have good flow.

Like horizontally?

Like horizontally?

Yea, but that is for submersible heaters. Mine is not, nor can I move it closer to the filter. With the top there is just no room to put it. So it stays where it is.... and I will keep the thermometer on the opposite side so I am sure the temp stays right. :) :fish1:

With all this talk, it really doesn't matter. The only thing you have to worry about is where your thermometer is. It should be on the other side of your heater. If you have any decent filter it should move the water enough for the water to be circulated. You wouldn't need to place it right underneath your filter.

It kinda does matter, but pretty much any way will get the job done. Putting the heater low in the tank and horizontal does two things, it keeps from exposing/cracking the heater if you forget to unplug it during water change. I don't even unplug heaters during WC's. Also since heat rises it would be more beneficial to put it lower in the tank, but as long as the heater is big enough for the tank volume it'll heat the water however it's placed.

It kinda does matter, but pretty much any way will get the job done. Putting the heater low in the tank and horizontal does two things, it keeps from exposing/cracking the heater if you forget to unplug it during water change. I don't even unplug heaters during WC's. Also since heat rises it would be more beneficial to put it lower in the tank, but as long as the heater is big enough for the tank volume it'll heat the water however it's placed.

I agree with you, the whole putting the heater at the bottom. I'm thinking that you should have an ample heater that will move the water around, hence be saying it would not matter. This is just a thought :)

I see where you are going, putting the heater at the bottom. I am just saying that it wouldn't matter because if you had ample water circulation, the heat would get everywhere in the tank. This is why you do not put your temp. gauge where your heater is at. Just a thought!

jetajockey said:

+1 I've got mine horizontal under my hob on the bottom. And my digital thermometer at the end of my tank.

I have my heaters centered on the back wall, horizontal, about 2 inches above substrate. I have my airstones placed beneath them so that the heat is caught in the flow of bubbles and distributed evenly throughout the tank.

Since we moved the heaters to this position, we have virtually rock solid temperatures with no fluctuations.

Our digital thermometers are placed on the extreme right side back wall of the tanks.

Back
Top Bottom