Heater question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good questions I think the top fin that Walmart sells goes to like 86 or 88 . I looks at one before I bought mine.

Ok tetra is what Walmart has online and it says 78 but she said it had temp adjustments

If she has the tetra ht55 200 watt it hours from 72-85

Last edited by a moderator:
If she has the tetra ht55 200 watt it hours from 72-85

The box doesn't say ht55. It just says its a submersible heater and the back it says its adjustable from 72-86 degrees and prevents over heating. This is a picture of the box.

Attachments

• image-3272222473.jpg
    image-3272222473.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 44
Ok tetra is what Walmart has online and it says 78 but she said it had temp adjustments

I was thinking she said that it said 78 but I can't remember now lol.

The box doesn't say ht55. It just says its a submersible heater and the back it says its adjustable from 72-86 degrees and prevents over heating. This is a picture of the box.

Well it shouldn't have a problem getting it up in temp then. It may just take a while to get there. What temperature gauge are you using? Can you get one from another tank and double check to make sure its reading right. Otherwise I can't believe after a full day it hasn't gone up.

I agree. When I had heater issues it took a 100 watt heater to raise my 20 gallon from 70 to 77 only about 30 minutes.

Do all the occupants of the tank have ich? If not perhaps it might be best to move the affected one(s) to a smaller hospital tank

Well it shouldn't have a problem getting it up in temp then. It may just take a while to get there. What temperature gauge are you using? Can you get one from another tank and double check to make sure its reading right. Otherwise I can't believe after a full day it hasn't gone up.

I didnt think so either. It's the same thermometer Ive had since July when I got my 10g. It goes in the water, it's not one of the sticker ones that go on the side of the tank.

Do all the occupants of the tank have ich? If not perhaps it might be best to move the affected one(s) to a smaller hospital tank

It's just my balloon Molly. I made a post in the unhealthy forum and they said if one fish has it the whole tank is infected and it's better to raise the temp in the 55 to completely kill the ICH.

About where are the knobs set? Halfway is usually around 76 or so

I have them both all the way up. I slowly increased them over the course of today. There is a mark in the top of the heater that shows where 78 is. That's where I started out at and I've slowly increased over today.

I've read your other post to get a full understanding (plus I haven't dealt with ich yet so we can call this a learning experience). They suggested to do partial water changes. Have you done one yet today? If not you can do one and raise the temp a degree by placing warmer water in. Perhaps there might be some controversy here but you gotta do what you got to do. Does your tank have a lid to contain heat? Wrap the tank in a heat blanket might help.

It's supposed to be a degree an hour as not to stress the fish to much. The day after Sandy hit here in Canada we got affected and was without power for 13 1/2. To maintain the temp I boiled water bottles and placed them in the tank. Perhaps you can do this as well.

Wow I would have figured your tank would be hotter than that. Possible problem with thermometer? Especially with 400 Watts of heaters.

Reach in and touch the heater when it's on. It should be warm. If not then its faulty

Have a regular thermometer that you can use? From the kitchen perhaps?

I've read your other post to get a full understanding (plus I haven't dealt with ich yet so we can call this a learning experience). They suggested to do partial water changes. Have you done one yet today? If not you can do one and raise the temp a degree by placing warmer water in. Perhaps there might be some controversy here but you gotta do what you got to do. Does your tank have a lid to contain heat? Wrap the tank in a heat blanket might help.

No, no lid yet. Haven't found one. I'm honestly liking the open tank look.

Yeah it sounds like either heater problem or stuck thermometer

Ok you should find something to partially cover the top for now. That will help a lot

Back
Top Bottom