Hello! I am a complete beginner and nervous about getting my first fish. Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnnaKP

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 Gallon tank.
Current setup is a power filter, some fake plants, a small fake cave, overhead light, and a bubbler.
It has been running with no fish for two days now, and the PH is at about 7.2.

My first worry is that my heater isn't working (It was from when my parents first bought the tank- about ten years ago). Is it completely necessary to have a heater, or should I buy a new one? The temperature of my tank seems to be staying within a 76-78 Fahrenheit range on it's own.

My second worry is the cycling. I haven't formally cycled my tank. I'm using a product called "Stability" by Seachem, which says it is for "rapid and safe establishment of bio-filter". Does anyone know from experience if it does the trick? If you are not familiar with the product, it says to add in a small amount each day for a week, and fish can be safely introduced at any time during this period. Does this mean I don't have to cycle or am I misinterpreting it?
Naturally I am very wary of depending on this product, especially since I don't know much about fish, so I would like some feedback.

My final concern is the fish! I was hoping to buy them today, but I will hold off if necessary.
I was thinking of buying a male dwarf gourami, 2 cherry barbs (one male and one female, maybe?), and hopefully a ghost shrimp.
Eventually, I would hope to get another male dwarf gourami, as well as 2 more cherry barbs (two females).
Does this sound like a good combination of fish for my tank?

I don't necessarily have my heart set on this particular combination of fish. I'm open for alternative suggestions. What combination of beginner fish would you recommend for my tank?

I apologize for the very "newbish" questions...
Thank you!

Welcome to AA :) To be honest, i've only heard a few people say they had any luck with the stability, and that was using it in conjunction with a fishless cycle, not just tossing it in, then adding fish. Read the link in my signature on fishless cycling. While you're at it, read the one on cycling with fish, and you'll see very quickly why you dont want to add fish just yet. You'll need some sort of ammonia source (fish food, cocktail shrimp, pure ammonia) and *if* that stability works, you may not have a very long cycle, but expect a month or more before getting any fish. Make sure you have a good liquid test kit as well. API makes a good one, and it's priced very reasonably. Dont waste your money on strips, you might as well taste the water to get your readings when using strips. You may want to rethink your stocking list as well. I think you'll be fine with a dwarf gourami, but the cherry barbs, imo, would not be a good mix. Of course, thats just my opinion.

Hey and welcome! I'm a newb also, but from my understanding barbs are schooling fish and can get stressed and aggresive when kept in numbers lower than six. This was the case for my first two fish. We made two mistakes: didn't cycle the tank and got only two barbs. First the male freaked out and nipped the crap out of the female, then we found him wedged under the driftwood one morning. About a week later Rosie kicked the bucket. Listen to these guys--do a fishless cycle and research ANY fish before you buy it.

p.s.--ours were rosy barbs

Last edited:
Thank you for all the advice so far!
I will look towards forgetting the "Stability" and instead going through the cycle as you described. I believe a friend of mine has an aquarium, so I will ask her for some of her used filter material and whatnot. Unfortunately I already purchased the test strips, but I will try to buy a proper kit as well as a new heater.
I hope my parents won't be too disappointed that not only do we have to buy more setup, but it will be a while before we can safely get the fish!

On the bright side, this gives me more time to research which fish to get since it looks like barbs wouldn't be the best idea.

Cherry Barbs are usually fine in smaller groups...you want atleast 2 females per male though, as the males could harass a single female. Cherries can be a little fiesty, so I don't think they would be best in a 10g with a gouramis....alone would be ok IMO, but the Gourami could get picked on.

Check out Ember Tetras...they are schooling, but they are small and orange...you could safely house 7-8 of them with a Honey Gourami....after you are cycled of course.

I would also caution against housing a gourami with ghost shrimp. You'll probably end up with a well-fed gourami and no shrimp.

I also see no one addressed the heater question. If your tank is staying at 76-78, a heater isn't absolutely necessary, but I highly recommend getting one anyways. The heater keeps the water temperature constant. A small volume of water, like your 10g, will fluctuate, usually warming during the day and cooling at night. Your fish won't be very fond of the hot and cold flashes. It stresses them out.

Welcome, your best bet would be to get some of the established media (substrate,filter,decor) and that'll as mfd said make ur cycle real short if any depending on how much you get. Just make sure its a healthy tank.

Justone is right with the cherry barbs, its all about the female male ratio. I bought 6(5females,2males) and they're fine. I lost one male and chaos happened almost immediatly so just keep that in mind.

good to hear that you will do a fishless cycle. getting a used filter from your friend will speed it up. I found that covering the tank helps keep people from putting pressure on you to get fish.

i would go for the fishless cycle mate, i did and was chuffed when it came off, i know it takes time, and when you get a new tank you want fish the same day, but that will only lead to multiple problems, i bet most people on this site have had there day when they bought a tank and added a fish straight away, then it died and they decided to research and ended up here lol, i am still a newbie so the only other advice i can give you is to listen to the guys on this site as they know their stuff, and do as much research as you can

I hope my parents won't be too disappointed that not only do we have to buy more setup, but it will be a while before we can safely get the fish!

On the bright side, this gives me more time to research which fish to get since it looks like barbs wouldn't be the best idea.

These are both very good statements. Too many times, people rush in, dont do their research, then when something bad happens, they quit. This is a very rewarding hobby if you take your time and do your research. Kudos to you for asking for help rather than going straight in with no research (i did, luckily i found this site and have since learned soooo much).

Btw, good catch Jim, i completely ignored the heater. I agree, if it's staying between 76 and 78, you'd probably be ok without one, but if there's any way you can afford one, it would be good so that you can keep your tank at a stable temperature (i almost bet its not 76-78 in the morning before the light is turned on)...

Yep, Heater is recommended so water temp doesnt fluctuate too much. I personally recommend spending the extra $3, and purchase a Marineland Stealth, or Stealth Pro. I have spend too much money on buying "other" brand heaters and end up in the garbage after a few months. These Stealth heaters are 100% submersible, and IMO the best heaters out there!

Cycling with Fish, or Fishless Cycling...
Either way, cycling your tank is the only way to ensure a Healthy Tank in the long run. Most people will say go for "Fishless". I agree, it is the most simple and effective way to Cycle a tank, and is very forgiving.
I, on the other hand always cycled with fish, but this requires ALOT of water changes... You really need to do Daily testing this way.

I would IMO stay away from DG's in a 10gal. Maybe consider some Columbian Tetras, a few shrimps, Otos and of course... Low-Light Live Plants :)

Anyways, Welcome to AA, and hope you enjoy this hobby.. It is, like others say, very rewarding.

I am a complete newbie so cant advise much other than to agree with the others and go VERY slow. I bought a 10g tank from a store, it was pre-built and 6 weeks old and had cycled. It also had 8 fish which is WAY too many. But of course he was the "expert". I dropped $300 on the system and less than a week later, more than half are dead...and of course no refunds. :(

If I had to do it all over (which I will), Id get the tank, research like crazy and go very very slow.

Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom