Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ampowell01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I've had a betta once before when I was about 10-12 years old. I've become interested in having another one and I'd like to do it right this time. Last time I had an incredibly small tank, didn't have a filter, didn't have a heater or anything. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure which is best and reasonably priced?

I have a couple tanks in mind. One is about 2.5 gallons and the other is 5.2 gallons. I'm leaning towards the latter, but that's as far as I've got. Can anyone recommend heaters and filters reasonably priced and durable? TIA

Hello, I've had a betta once before when I was about 10-12 years old. I've become interested in having another one and I'd like to do it right this time. Last time I had an incredibly small tank, didn't have a filter, didn't have a heater or anything. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure which is best and reasonably priced?

I have a couple tanks in mind. One is about 2.5 gallons and the other is 5.2 gallons. I'm leaning towards the latter, but that's as far as I've got. Can anyone recommend heaters and filters reasonably priced and durable? TIA
Your betta will be happy in either but will love the 5 gallon! :)

In small tanks with a single Betta you might want to consider an air-driven filter, like a sponge or corner/box filter. They're very inexpensive (even when you account for the air pump) and they work well in small tanks. They don't create a whole lot of water movement (which Betta don't like).

The advantage of a corner/box filter is that there's room in it for permanent biomedia (like ceramic noodles), a mechanical filter like filter floss, and even for a chemical medium like activated carbon (if you ever need to run it).

The downside to the sponge and corner/box filters is that you have to get your hands into the tank to maintain them (that's actually another argument in favor of the 5 gallon -- more room to work in).

Most of the reliable manufacturers make mini-heaters. If you go with the 2.5 gallon tank a 10W should be fine; for the 5 gallon you'd want at least a 20W heater.

the recommended tank size is at least 5 gallons. Personally i would recommend at least ten but i like to spoil my fish haha

for filters just make sure they aren't too strong for your betta and constantly pushing him around. I would recommend a thermometer with any heater because some heaters like to actually go a little bit warmer than what they say they will be. better to be safe than sorry

you will need water conditioner.
They like planted tanks. and if you decide to use fake plants use ones that are soft. bettas have delicate fins and they can rip them on decor and cause stress and sickness

Back
Top Bottom