Help! First time fishless cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emalou20

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Recently I started my new 75 gallon freshwater. I had never done a fishless cycling before and decided this would be my safest option. My ammonia drops to 0 in about 24 hours, other readings are still high.

Before leaving for work today I checked the parameters of the tank:

pH- 7.4
Nitrate- 5-10ppm
Nitrite- 5.0
Ammonia- 4.0

Also this past Saturday night I added my plants; hopefully not to soon. Little browning of the leaves so far. Is there anything I can do to help them? I plan to pick up some root tabs next time I'm close to our nearest Petsmart.

Thanks in advance! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423597998.633054.jpg

(Please ignore the block on the stump. Placed it on there originally to help it sink. Now it's on there to just make sure I don't unseat it while messing with the other rocks and plants)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

testing

(y)leave it for a while longer and keep testing your water everyday. Good luck!

Any suggestions for the plants while its cycling? This is the lighting set up; 2 ballast and 4 bulbs.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423612610.354803.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423612642.866013.jpg

Hi Emalou20:

How long ago did you start your cycle?

-Yorg

Recently I started my new 75 gallon freshwater. I had never done a fishless cycling before and decided this would be my safest option. My ammonia drops to 0 in about 24 hours, other readings are still high.

Before leaving for work today I checked the parameters of the tank:

pH- 7.4
Nitrate- 5-10ppm
Nitrite- 5.0
Ammonia- 4.0

Also this past Saturday night I added my plants; hopefully not to soon. Little browning of the leaves so far. Is there anything I can do to help them? I plan to pick up some root tabs next time I'm close to our nearest Petsmart.

Thanks in advance! View attachment 263912

(Please ignore the block on the stump. Placed it on there originally to help it sink. Now it's on there to just make sure I don't unseat it while messing with the other rocks and plants)

Maybe 3 weeks ago

Can you post your newly tested water params?

Time spent with cats is never wasted

Just have checked them for today

Ammonia: 0ppm (haven't added any today)
Nitrite: around 2ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm

Back
Top Bottom