Help injured cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mez1974

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi ,

I came home to find my normally peaceful tank with one of 3 Peppered Corys severely injured lying on its side with blood red wounds on both sides of his body and his tail fin looking gone.He still alive so i've removeded him from tank but i'm seriously thinking of putting him down cause he looks like he's suffering. :cry:

My question is what did it ? The remaining 2 cories look very nervous.
My thoughts are Rainbow SHark or Betta any ideas ? Also will the cory improve or do u think from the description he passed the point of no return ?

29 UK GALLON. Rainbow Shark,2 Dwarf Gouramis,Betta,5 White Clouds,Bristlenose Catfish,2 Zebra Danios,3 Black Widows,3 Peppered Cories.

I would at least try to get take care of him in a different tank and try to heal him. Go to your lfs and ask them what medication would help.

My guess is that the culprit is the betta. They are not good community fish and should IMHO best be kept alone (male bettas).

I never seen the betta go for them before, but i havent seen the shark go for them either !

He still hasnt moved just lying on side for last 3 hours

Well......since it happened while you weren't observing, I'm guessing the betta because they are most known for being aggresive.

What other inhabitants do you have in the tank? How large is it? How long has it been set up?

Welcome to AquariumAdvice!!!
:wave:

been set up about 4 months.

All levels of ammonia and Nitrite are nothing.

29 UK GALLON. Rainbow Shark,2 Dwarf Gouramis,Betta,5 White Clouds,Bristlenose Catfish,2 Zebra Danios,3 Black Widows,3 Peppered Cories.

Reading several forum posts they are a lot of people saying the Rainbow sharks are (or can be) argessive to cories.

Sharks can get territorial and large, but there are others in there that could have done this! Bettas do not like fish that look like themselves, or fish that go to the water's surface. I am surprised you have not seen problems between the betta and the gouramis.

yeah i know there from the same family and not ideally suited but they sort of have a mutual respect for each other and i've had no problems yet. I may move the betta into a smaller tank i have if any occur.

But my immediate problem is what killed my cory if its the betta i'll move it but if its the rainbow shark i'll probbaly move the corys.
I just seen the Betta swim into a cave with 1 of my remaining cories and did nothing.
Although my remaining cories look like there in Shock not eating and generally looking unhappy.

Unless i see some agression i dont know what to do for the best.

Since the cories are stressed, they need to be moved. Stress alone can kill a fish. You may not notice any aggression with the other fish until they hit sexual maturity.

Well my options are move the Betta to smaller tank or cories as my other tank is only about 6 gal. I think it my be the betta after all cause he seams to be showing a little more agression today than before, but the cory had his tail bitten off and his body was blood red both sides would a betta be able to do that much damage ?

Yes they are definetly capable of doing that sort of damage. You should see what happens when you put 2 male bettas together! Don't try it though......

I would actually advice you to remove your betta from the tank and set him up in his own little tank. And you should get some more buddies for your 2 remaining corries, 3 more would make them feel allot more comfortable. (If your tank size allows you to add any more offcourse).

Well i ruled out the Betta i think !

I've lost a white cloud and this afternoon i found my over active pearl Danio (Who always been a nippy fellow chasing everything even blakc widow tetras) dead from another attack. The betta's in the smaller tank with some white clouds (That i moved)

Does this mean its the Rainbow Shark for sure ?

Back
Top Bottom