HELP! My betta got seriously injured!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fancyrat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My sister went to look at my tank and saw my betta was stuck behind the heater. I helped him and he swam away. I checked for injuries but nhe seemed okay.

He then began to hide in the plants and underneath the spiderwood. I'm getting another heater now, I hate that thing.

Anyway, some red started to show up and I see now that his tail is a bit deformed. Now, all of a sudden, he looks terrible and I can tell he is in pain I don't have medicine right now and it's night time, so the stores and vet are closed.

Can I do anything to help him? I don't want to lose him!

There's a picture attached to this post, I hope you can see it. The last time he ate was last night. He tries to swim but then gives up. He's breathing heavily and I'm keeping the water a bit low so he can breathe.

Attachments

• 20221220_210014.jpg
    20221220_210014.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 16
Pristine water and a stressfree environment will do more to help your fish recover from his wound than anything else. If there are other fish in the tank, remove the betta to a hospital tank. Do daily water changes.

Aquarium salt will help prevent the wound getting infected. 1 rounded tablespoon per 20 litres/ 5 gallons. Double this if you see no improvement after a couple of days.

There's no treatment for burns on fish so don't add any medication from the shop. Just keep the water clean as suggested by Aiken and hope the fish recovers.

You can add a small amount of salt if you like (see Aiken's dose rate) to help reduce the risk of secondary infections like fungus and bacteria. But clean water and monitor him. If he's going to survive, it will be a week or so before he starts moving around again. Just keep the water clean and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom