Help on my 10 gallon Serpae Tetra tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swankyspoon

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am starting a 10 gallon tank. I have 3 Serpae Tetras and am planning to buy 3 more in a few weeks. Will this work?

AqAdvisor says I will be at 75% capacity, which sounds healthy. I bought only three tetra initially because I read that you should keep a tank fairly sparse during cycling (I am doing 30-40% daily cycles - and plan to buy a Ph tester with the test tubes etc). However, I am also aware that tetras are happier in schools of 6 or more. So, what should I do? Should I buy three more as quickly as possible so my fish will form a small school and be happier, or should I wait until cycling has happened?

Thanks in advance!

don't add any fish until the cycle is finished. pick up a liquid test kit ASAP and keep ammonia and nitrite levels below .25ppm to reduce risk of poisoning. when your cycle is finished, you could probably get away with adding 5 or 6 more tetras to your tank, especially if you don't plan on adding any other stock. read up on the nitrogen cycle if you haven't already, there is a couple of good threads right in this section of the forum. good luck with the cycle, hope your lil serpaes do ok :)

After your cycle is complete then pick up 3-4 more. I have serpaes's and have noticed they are slightly aggressive, so the more the better.

Thanks! I was stupid and should have cycled before I began. Ah well, now I know. So far the three Serpaes are looking alright. They are showing a lot of energy, chasing each other across the tank.

Live and learn. I hate to think of what I've put my fish through in the past due to ignorance.

Alright. I bit the bullet and bought a liquid test. Here are my results so far (with very frequent 40% water ptw:

Ammonia: 0.50 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: >5 PM

Thoughts?

Thanks!

+1 The key to cycling with fish is constant water changes. If you can, get some filter media out of a mature tank to seed your tank. It will speed up the cycle. Ask your LFS for something out of their tanks if you have to.

+1 The key to cycling with fish is constant water changes. If you can, get some filter media out of a mature tank to seed your tank. It will speed up the cycle. Ask your LFS for something out of their tanks if you have to.

Make sure its a trusted lfs, you dont want to deal with some sort of outbreak later on down the road.

Thanks. Only stores nearby are Petco and Petsmart, so I think I have to cycle on my own. Got 0.5 PPM Ammonia and 0 Nitrites again last night. Did a 50% PWC this morning.

We are cycled no ammonia or nitrites and nitrates 7-8 ppm! I will start adding a serpae a week! And all three that I started with survived!

Yeah, mine nip. I hope that as I increase the school to 6, they will chill a bit.

Back
Top Bottom