Help: Online fish reference and stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am searching for a good online aquarium fish reference. Basically, I am wanting to research some good options to stock my tank with. I found a good reference at aquariumdomain.com. It gave specifications for ideal tank conditions for lots of fish, but I felt that the list of fish it referenced was pretty small.

I am still early in the cycle, but looking for stocking ideas. The tank is 29 gallons. I am cycling with 9 zebra danios.

I want some bottom dwellers; I read a lot about cory cats, but are they an interesting fish to keep and can you mix/match the groups with different types?

I feel I need another schooling fish to go along with the zebras. I saw a great looking fish at aquariumdomain called a celestial pearl danio that is apparently easy to keep. Would that be a good selection or should I stick with a school of tetras?

What about algae control. Seems I read a good bit about bristlenose catfish as they stay fairly small. Is this correct and a good choice?

I would like a "feature fish" also that doesn't necessarily have to be in a large group. What are some options to go with the above?

Just trying to get ahead of the curve while I impatiently wait on some good bacteria.

I like http://www.seriouslyfish.com (click Knowledge Base) and http://www.liveaquaria.com
I also have had good luck going directly to my LFS, writing down all of the fish I liked, then googling them more individually for more info.

Different types of cory cats will hang out if they look very similar, but if their color is very different they may or may not. Cories are my very favorite fish, they are super cute and busy!

Celestial Pearl Danios are gorgeous, but they will depend on your "centerpiece" fish (unless you like them enough, and then your centerpiece fish will depend on them!)

Plecos (bristlenose) are really not algae controllers. They poop more than they help. Otos are good for algae control in a small group, or Nerite snails.

Centerpiece fish - Angelfish (no celestial pearl danios then), Gourami, Betta. With any of those you could also have a German Blue Ram as a lower tank centerpiece. Zebra Danios may be too feisty for an Angelfish or Betta, however. They don't really love spazzy fish.

"Plecos (bristlenose) are really not algae controllers. They poop more than they help. Otos are good for algae control in a small group, or Nerite snails."

Incorrect.

bristlenose plecos are very good at algae control and are good in planted aquaria because they remain small compared to other plecos. Same with clown plecos.

Are the celestial pearl danios easy to find? I am really interested in them. I am not into angelfish, but what makes them incompatible with the celestial pearl danios? Just trying to learn about them.

I like the dwarf gouramis, but have heard they can be fin nippers. Is this true?

Since you are into Cory cats, what is your favorite type and a proper grouping for a 29 gallon tank?

CPDs are just tiny and an Angel would probably eat them.

I would avoid a Dwarf gourami and go with a standard gourami - dwarfs are very sickly and disease prone. I don't know about the fin nipping.

My apologies re: the pleco, it sounds like I was mistaken. I know the Planted Tank forum recommends against them as algae eaters but it's just because they recommend other fish as stronger at it. I've never had a pleco, I apologize.

As for cories, since your tank isn't that big I would do a small species. Here are some of the small ones that don't get bigger than 2":
Species Search Results
Hopefully linking the search results works - you should get 68 results following the link

Last edited:
I think a dwarf gourami would be okay but it may take a few tries before you get one that is not doomed. From my understanding it is genetics that cause them to be sickly, and it is not inhumane at all to have to buy fish many times if they keep dying as long as it is not because of your tank conditions. But honey gourami are a good alternative.

Back
Top Bottom