Help planning heavily planted microtank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elysekuf

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey folks --

I ran a highly successful 40 gallon or so tank from December 2010 (really February 2011 by the time the fishless cycle finally finished) - May of this year. I had to sell it (TEARS!) when I moved out/separated from my husband and as I get ready to move into the house I just bought, I really want to figure out a new aquarium situation, but I'm up for a greater challenge this time.

I want to get a 5-8 gallon, heavily planted, ideally themed tank. It's been a while since I've made stocking decisions and the last tank was only moderately planted, and was large besides. A micro tank is a whole different ballgame, so I wanted insight on:
- Filtration
- Lighting
- Substrate
- Plants best suited to micro/low tech
- Various possible combinations of fish

In the long term, I'd like to be able to manage a heavily planted and fully stocked tank, but that's obviously a longer-term goal.

For reference, the fish I kept previously were:
- 1 angel fish
- school of about 10-12 cardinals
- school of about 6 julii corys
- 1 bristlenose

I really, really loved the corys, but I don't know that they'd make sense in a tank that small even if highly planted. I also like the idea of a betta, but don't want to sacrifice community. I'm also a sucker for cardinals, but I definitely don't think I would put them in a tank so small.

Looking forward to seeing examples of your micros! :)

In terms of the plants will you be keeping this tank low tech or high tech with co2 supplementation?

dwarf corys
emrald rasbora or celestial pearl danio
and a dwarf gourami

Hey folks --

I ran a highly successful 40 gallon or so tank from December 2010 (really February 2011 by the time the fishless cycle finally finished) - May of this year. I had to sell it (TEARS!) when I moved out/separated from my husband and as I get ready to move into the house I just bought, I really want to figure out a new aquarium situation, but I'm up for a greater challenge this time.

I want to get a 5-8 gallon, heavily planted, ideally themed tank. It's been a while since I've made stocking decisions and the last tank was only moderately planted, and was large besides. A micro tank is a whole different ballgame, so I wanted insight on:
- Filtration
- Lighting
- Substrate

In the long term, I'd like to be able to manage a heavily planted and fully stocked tank, but that's obviously a longer-term goal.

For reference, the fish I kept previously were:
- 1 angel fish
- school of about 10-12 cardinals
- school of about 6 julii corys
- 1 bristlenose

I really, really loved the corys, but I don't know that they'd make sense in a tank that small even if highly planted. I also like the idea of a betta, but don't want to sacrifice community. I'm also a sucker for cardinals, but I definitely don't think I would put them in a tank so small.

Looking forward to seeing examples of your micros! :)

- Filtration

A simple HOB would be fine depending on the size your tank. I use an Aquaclear 20 on my 5 gal and an Azoo palm on my 3 gal long. There are also a number of mini canisters that would work well too.

- Lighting

A stock hood with 6500k CFL bulbs would work, as would a simple and sleek LED like a Finnex Stingray, Fugeray, or Current Satellite+. If you go with DIY CO2 you could look into stronger lights too.

- Substrate

Sand, EcoComplete, and Flourite are all pretty inexpensive options that would work fine. If you're willing to spend a little more you could also look into something like ADA Aquasoil since you wouldn't need more than a bag.

Java fern 'Philippine', Anubias nana 'petite', crypt wendtii, crypt lucens, crypt parva (and countless other crypts), dwarf sag, pygmy chain sword (depending on your tank size both dwarf sag and the chain sword may grow too large), flame/christmas/taiwan moss (and many others), various bacopas such as caroliniana and monnieri, and various bucephalandras if you got deep pockets. Once you figure out your lighting, ferts, and any CO2 or carbon supplementation we can provide more options as well.

Here are some nano fish worth researching to get you started:
Celestial Pearl Danios
Dwarf Emerald Rasboras
Chili Rasboras (and all micro rasboras)
Clown Killies
Endlers
Pygmy Sunfish
Gertrudae Rainbowfish
Scarlet Badis
Dwarf Puffer (species tank only)

and dwarf shrimp such as Red Cherry, Crystal Red, etc

And FYI if you run searches under Nano planted tank lots of info will come up.

Nanos are 10g or less
Picos are 3g or less

At least those are the terms I use.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's where I'm at.. 3 weeks old.. 5.5 gal.,.floramax substrate, 16" finnex planted plus suspended at 12". Aquatek paintball co2 on a 20 oz tank. Pps pro.... 7 celestial pearl danios and 5 Amano shrimp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1417399692407.jpg
    1417399692407.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 87
Thanks everyone! It's been a while since I've frequented these forums, and now that you mention it, I do remember nano/pico being the preferred terminology, which should help with my searching through the forums! :) Thanks!

And thanks for all the starting suggestions, too! It'll be a while before I get started, but it's nice to know what direction to look in as I gather supplies and plan! :D

Very cool tank and great post with lots of info! Can I get some advice? My planted tank 26 g with guppies hob filter and an airstone. It has no c02 and prob low lighting (it's the light that came with the fluval bowfront tank) how many hours should I leave the light on ? I used flourite. Do I need c02? Do I need anything else?! Thanks in advance ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428181276.943922.jpg

Thanks everyone! It's been a while since I've frequented these forums, and now that you mention it, I do remember nano/pico being the preferred terminology, which should help with my searching through the forums! :) Thanks!

And thanks for all the starting suggestions, too! It'll be a while before I get started, but it's nice to know what direction to look in as I gather supplies and plan! :D

Don't be concerned about the terminology...I have six tanks under 3g and still call them nano. To me it's nano tank, nano fish, nano shrimp :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom