Help, question about my cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrkGumby12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 46g bowfriont aquarium, just started it a week ago. I am using an emperor 400 filter and i used Tetra safe start, which i hope will help balance everything and maybe speed up the cycle a bit. A day later, i added an Oranda and a Black Moor and 2 snails. So far things are good, i see good nitrate levels, pretty much no nitrites and a bit of ammonia (.5) My question is that i've read nitrates are more regulated and carried out with the air when there is an air pump and i have one i havent connected yet, because i've also read that it would negatively affect the cycle, however last night i read that it would help the cycle.. Can someone please let me know if it would hurt, help or have no affect on my cycle. Thanks Everyone! This is my first post but i've done a boatload of research the past 2 weeks.

Fish In Cycling

I have a 46g bowfriont aquarium, just started it a week ago. I am using an emperor 400 filter and i used Tetra safe start, which i hope will help balance everything and maybe speed up the cycle a bit. A day later, i added an Oranda and a Black Moor and 2 snails. So far things are good, i see good nitrate levels, pretty much no nitrites and a bit of ammonia (.5) My question is that i've read nitrates are more regulated and carried out with the air when there is an air pump and i have one i havent connected yet, because i've also read that it would negatively affect the cycle, however last night i read that it would help the cycle.. Can someone please let me know if it would hurt, help or have no affect on my cycle. Thanks Everyone! This is my first post but i've done a boatload of research the past 2 weeks.

Hello Grk...

Chemicals are marginally helpful when you cycle a tank. A "Fish In" cycle is efficient and takes 4 to 6 weeks. There's no way to rush things unless you have the filter media from an identical tank that's been running for some time. Otherwise, you need to be patient and follow directions.

A 46 G is a fairly large tank, so you'll need several small fish, say 8 to 10. The fish waste starts the cycling process. All you need to do is have a good water testing kit and test for ammonia and nitrites every day. When your test shows a trace of either of these toxins, you must remove a minimum of 25 percent of the tank water to bring the chemistry back into the "safe zone" for the fish. When several tests show "0" ammonia and nitrites, then you can add a few more small fish and resume daily testing. Don't fret over nitrates, even in relatively high levels, they aren't toxic. The regular water changes will keep them at safe levels.

You don't need an airpump. Your filtration system will maintain sufficient oxygen levels and remove CO2.

Just follow the steps above until the tank is fully stocked. After that, then you follow a sound tank maintenance routine that includes removing half the tank water every week. If you do this and routinely service the filtration equipment, you'll guarantee your fish and plants a stable water environment.

B

Thanks Brad

I did a 25% water change last night and i will check the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph later when i get home, but again just wondering if the filter will have a positive, none or negative affect on the cycle process. Thanks again

Using Air Pumps

I mean air pump

Hello again Grk...

You don't need an air pump. If you have strong filtration and by that I mean a filter system that has a gallon per hour (gph) rating of roughly 6 times the volume of your tank, then that will be sufficient to get oxygen into the tank water and remove carbon dioxide. This is all that's needed during the cycling process and any time afterward.

Hope this information is clear and helpful.

B

Unless the air pump is blowing your guys around, I would add it. Goldfish have higher oxygen needs than quite a few other fish. Its beneficial for them.

While I respectfully appreciate Mr. Bradburys advice, I do have to disagree on adding 8-10 fish. 8 to 10 goldfish in a 46g is grossly overstocked. Stick to your two fancies during the cycling process and keep your toxins as low as possible. You can consider adding a third in the future but I honestly would not go beyond this. :)

Fish In Cycling

Unless the air pump is blowing your guys around, I would add it. Goldfish have higher oxygen needs than quite a few other fish. Its beneficial for them.

While I respectfully appreciate Mr. Bradburys advice, I do have to disagree on adding 8-10 fish. 8 to 10 goldfish in a 46g is grossly overstocked. Stick to your two fancies during the cycling process and keep your toxins as low as possible. You can consider adding a third in the future but I honestly would not go beyond this. :)

Hello jlk...

No problem on my side. Must have missed the post about the fish being Goldfish. I know they're waste producing machines and am in agreement with you on the number. It was my impression, the poster was using the standard fish, small and hardy. In this case I would stick by my post. Apparently, this isn't the case.

Mea culpa!

B

Back
Top Bottom