Help setting up a used 84 Gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought a used FW 84 gallon tank for $300. It has undergravel filters, gravel, two HOB filters, rocks, plastic plants, castles...etc.. Do I still need to cycle the tank or will the bacteria that is presently in the tank be enough to start? It has been kept wet. I know I will have to test for Nitrite, Nitrate and amonia. But if the levels are right can I assume that I can introduce fish or should I induce a cycle? Any help would be appreciated.

how long was the tank broken down for? If everything in the tank stayed completely submerged, inlcuding filter cartridges, then I would think you should be able to put fish in immediately. But, I would test water parameters first.

I would do a quick test with ammonia. Get the tank running & add some pure ammonia as if you are doing a fishless cycle. If the tank clears the ammonia to nitrates (give it a few hours after dosing to 2 ppm), then you are good to go. Otherwise, continue & finish the fishless cycle. <With some bacteria there to start with, this should take just a few days.>

Back
Top Bottom