Help, white worms in fishless cycling tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frogtoad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am currently doing a fishless cycle on a new 10 gallon tank. I'm about 20 days in. The last couple of days I've noticed tiny white C shaped things floating in the water. There seems to be more of them today than a couple of days ago. I think I saw about 5 different ones. They don't seem to wiggle but rather just float in the moving water. I did get a marimo moss ball about a couple of weeks ago. Could I have brought in some worms or parasites in with it? Do I need to do anything to get rid of them at this point? There's no fish to harm, but I wouldn't want it to get out of hand either. Also tonight I stuck my arm in the tank to move my marimo around a bit but didn't notice until after I stuck my arm in that I have a tiny scrape in the skin. It's enough to notice a slight sting when it hit the water. Now I'm a bit paranoid seeing these tiny white things in the water. Is it something I should be concerned about?

Attachments

• DSC06582.jpg
    DSC06582.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC06584.jpg
    DSC06584.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC06573.jpg
    DSC06573.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 111
Worms in the Tank

Hello frog...

Get online and research "Planaria". Could be what you have in your tank. Nothing to be concerned about, though. They can be introduced through gravel or plants. Most aquarium fish will have these for lunch.

B

Hello BB,

From my searches, that was what I found as well. I just wasn't sure since a lot of pictures of them online were bigger and / or longer. Thanks for the double check.

I've had them in cycling tanks too, they disappear once things are cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom