Hi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noel 9764

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is the difference of cycling a tank, and changing out your media filter?
It would seem like you are starting all over again this time with a tank of fish?
On my filter it says to change every 2 months. Thanks
Mara

Also what do nitrates do for a tank? I was under the impression you want everything 0 except ph
Sorry if the ?? Seem weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I never change my filter media. If you remove it, you remove most of your good bacteria, causing your cycle to crash and ammonia to build back up. I will only change my media if it is absolutely falling apart, and even then, I may still leave it.

Nitrate is the byproduct of the bacteria that "eat" the nitrite. Nitrite is the byproduct of the bacteria that "eat" the ammonia, which comes from the fish waste. Ammonia is deadly, nitrite is less deadly, and nitrate is safe in low levels. Your tank should have 5-20ppm in nitrate, which shows that you have a healthy bacteria colony. Anything over 20ppm can start causin issues with fish. We perform water changes to remove the excess nitrate, as there aren't bacteria in the regular home aquarium that will remove this

What is the difference of cycling a tank, and changing out your media filter?
It would seem like you are starting all over again this time with a tank of fish?
On my filter it says to change every 2 months. Thanks
Mara

Also what do nitrates do for a tank? I was under the impression you want everything 0 except ph
Sorry if the ?? Seem weird.

Cycling a tank is building up a colony of Beneficial Bacteria (BB). They convert Ammonia to safer stuff.

Manufacturers tell you to swap out your filter pads in order to make money. Activated carbon is not necessary for a healthy tank. All you need to do if your filter slows down, is to rinse your filter pads in used tank water, and then put them back. You do not throw them away until their falling apart.

Here are articles to help you.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html

You'll almost never have 0 Nitrates if your Ammonia is 0. Normal range is around 10-20ppm of Nitrates.
40 and above is getting dangerous and Id do a water change.

Read up on cycling. http://m.wikihow.com/Do-a-Fishless-Cycle

You'll almost never have 0 Nitrates if your Ammonia is 0. Normal range is around 10-20ppm of Nitrates.
40 and above is getting dangerous.

I disagree with this to a point. Depending on the fish even levels above 10ppm can start to negatively effect fish after long periods of time. Short spikes however should not, but should be avoided if possible.

Also this is not cichlid related and I am not sure why it is posted in this section please be more mindful of this in the future.

"Also this is not cichlid related and I am not sure why it is posted in this section please be more mindful of this in the future."

Um this is posted under FW Getting Started forum.
It's not in the Cichlid forum ??

"Also this is not cichlid related and I am not sure why it is posted in this section please be more mindful of this in the future."

Um this is posted under FW Getting Started forum.
It's not in the Cichlid forum ??

I believe It got moved, it was under "Cichlid discussion" originally. Unless the app is screw up on me?

Hi Noel.
Nitrates have a place in a planted tank. They feed off the nitrates and help reduce the nitrates. You will still never get zero nitrates. I tend to aim for about 10ppm in my planted tank. However, 20ppm should be your maximum.
Hope that helps.

I disagree with this to a point. Depending on the fish even levels above 10ppm can start to negatively effect fish after long periods of time. Short spikes however should not, but should be avoided if possible.

Also this is not cichlid related and I am not sure why it is posted in this section please be more mindful of this in the future.

The number of fish on the list that will be negatively impacted by 10ppm of nitrates is miniscule and very rarely bought by someone that is wondering about media changing.

The advice about keeping the water below 40 is sound.

The number of fish on the list that will be negatively impacted by 10ppm of nitrates is miniscule and very rarely bought by someone that is wondering about media changing.

The advice about keeping the water below 40 is sound.

That's a fair point. Personally I always try to stay under 10pmm because I do maintain a few sensitive species.

Back
Top Bottom